chapter eleven | jude

"Lean on me."

beautiful storms | chapter eleven

He writes down all of the things they need to know for the test because they entered a new topic. Why plants? I could care less about plants. He opens his textbook and pulls up the new chapter. A freshly baked blueberry muffin is placed in front of him and he glances up at Haley, who smiles at him before sitting in front of him.

"How'd you find this bakery?"

"I came across it a few years ago."

She opens her spiral notebook and she folds the front, she clicks her pen. Jude watches as a strand of ginger hair falls down to her exposed collarbone.

"So he wants us to work on chapters 20 and 23 for the test," Jude informs her. Something catches Haley's eyes and she stares outside of the cafe. She smirks before looking back at Jude.

"How much do you know about plants?"

She runs a hand through her hair and she pulls it to her shoulder.

"I know enough but I would like to know more."

"I'll help as much I can to help you with the test."

"You're really a sweetheart, aren't you?"

She smiles. She glances in Jude's eyes and he pulls away not interested. He sighs bringing his attention to the textbook and he begins to scan through the pages. He lightly taps his fingers on the wood table. The bell over the door rings and Haley breaks her eyes away from Jude.

Cara walks in with another girl and she walks behind the counter, she wraps an apron around her body as she speaks to the girl. Her lips lift into a smile as she speaks and she ties her hair up in a messy bun. Jude turns around but Haley's voice pulls him away.

"So should we read the questions first?" She scoots her chair closer to his, so they could share the textbook. Jude holds in a breath when he sees Cara talking with a girl as she works. There's the smile I wanted to see. He moves away from her and he gets up from his seat and he walks to the counter.

He rings the bell and Cara turns around, she meets his eyes. Her brows furrow and she brushes a strand behind her ear.

"Can I help you with anything?" She asks as she tries her best to hold back a smile.

"Can I have an Iced Americano?"

Haley watches them with a glare but she stares down at his notebook. A single scribble catches her eye, it was of Cara's name. It was only once but it was enough for her glare even harder at those two.

Jude stares at his phone as he scrolls through old pictures of his mother. He turned to his side and he pulled his cover over his body. His hair falls in front of his face. I miss you, I wish I was there in time. I wish I never went to the movies. I wish...what's wishing gonna do? She's gone, she's never coming back. He opens her contact and he calls. It rings and it goes straight to voicemail.

"Hi, this is Rachel Amberg, I'm sorry I can't answer the phone right now. I'll make sure to call you back soon."

Tears form in his eyes and he calls again.

"Hi, this is Rachel Amberg, I'm sorry I can't answer the phone right now. I'll make sure to call you back soon."

He could hear Sadie and him arguing in the background with their dad about dinner. It was weeks before they died. Their mom had broken her old phone a few weeks before. Jude feels a sharp pain in his chest at the thought. He sits up on his bed and his face falls in his hands, his body shakes. I'll make sure to call you back soon.

He missed her so much. He pities himself and how he's acting. Boys aren't supposed to cry. Man up. Be a man. Don't be a pussy.

He screams in his head and he starts to rock back and forth. His body shakes and his breathing turns harsh. His muscles tense up and his head pounds against his skull. Stop crying. The tears fell at a quicker pace, his fists clench and he begins to hit his head.

"Why'd you have to go and die?" He whimpers and he falls back on his bed. There's a knock on his door and he quickly wipes his eyes. No more crying. What's crying gonna do?

"Come in." He says.

The door pushes open and Hayes walks in. He sees Jude's red eyes and the tears that threatened to come from his eyes. He glances behind him before shutting the door. He sighs.

"Wanna talk about it?"

Jude shakes his head and Hayes sits next to him, he turns to look at him. "You can talk to me you know?-- I'm always here for you guys. I know how you feel I lost her too."

Jude rubs his index finger against his thumb and he could feel his body relax. "Thanks." Hayes pats Jude's shoulder, trying to give him some type of comfort. A wave of tiredness comes over him and leans against his shoulder.

"What was mom like as a kid?"

"Quiet like Sadie and Caring like you. She was very reserved, we weren't that close after your grandpa died when we were younger. Then she left to go to college in Portland and I rarely saw her after that."

Jude nods.

"Do you know why Dad would do it?"

"No and guess we will never know now will we?"

"I just want to know what was going through his mind and what happened before."

"I know kid but it's too late for that."

Jude sighs, bringing a hand through his hair and he sucks his teeth.

"Your dad was always a bit...Nevermind, I'm gonna let you sleep."

"Goodnight, Uncle Hayes," Jude whispers.

Hayes stands up and walks out of the room, shutting the door behind him. Jude was alone again and he sighs.

"Remember you only experience life once so make it worth it, Jude."

"Did you experience all the things you wanted to?"

His mother doesn't say a word as she leans to kiss his temple. "I've experienced enough for one lifetime, just don't let anything stop you from experiencing yours." She sighs and she wraps her arms around him, bringing him closer to her.