Four - Dragons: The Beginning

The full self-help book called "Dragons: Everything you need to know so as not to get clawed, burned, maimed or eaten" can most likely be found in the same bookshop you got this. This is also explained in greater detail. This is more of a crash course.

Introduction.
Hello, my name is Almyra Le Dre. You might have heard of me, I'm the owner of the bookshop, 4Gremlins2Goblins. Do stop by.

I'm also the grand daughter of Elvira Le Dre, the first person to officially master the art of Dragon Ryding.

I have decided to shove down your throat some of the knowledge my mom shoved down mine. You'll get something more nice (because I had more pages), in the full book.

(PS. I love dragons and love my mom even more, always have. But to teen me, lessons three hours a day, seven days a week seemed more like a punishment.)

Alright. Let's jump in.

•°•°•

So, obviously, the first thing you need to do is have a dragon. You can buy one at any respectable pet shop. I recommend DragonsRUs.

Then, the bonding with him.

When you don't have a bond with him, you're either perceived as a small lunch or a big annoyance. And those are the worst things to be right after an idiot who pawned off his soul.

Side note; don't pawn off your soul.

(You'd think this wouldn't be a thing but lately this has needed to be made a warning. Kids these days.)

Solemnly lead him or solemnly be there while he's being lead to his new home.

(You can have a witch enchant the den/lair to be way bigger on the inside if you don't want to build it to height. Dragons can get as tall as seven to twelve feet. Some, like the black Elvian Giant, can grow even taller.)

Solemnly feed him.

Solemnly give him water.

Then leave. Solemnly, of course.

Why solemnly, without fussing, without talking?

Because dragons are pretty proud creatures with the means to make you extinct.

For the first days, you have to say, "Keep those claws, fire breath and teeth away big guy, I'm not a threat." A dragon at eight weeks already has all those lovely accessories.

His den should not have a door. I repeat, it should not have a door.

They don't like feeling trapped. Either he'll break it down and fly off which is as good as it gets. Or he'll lie in wait for you to open it up and, uh...

Let's just say grandmama was one of the lucky ones. She escaped with wounds, burns and without hair.

Then, after about a week, when he has come to expect you, bring a book and sit silently at the mouth of his lair as he eats.

Do not look at him. Just exist with him.

Anytime from then to, say another week, he should experimentally come to sniff or get a closer look at you.

Now this can be the turning point.

You have to be sure he's not violent because you're invading his space.

If you can't tell whether something thinks you're a potential threat or potential friend, then you really shouldn't be owning a dragon.

If you're adamant about it, I'm telling you your thick headedness will get you killed.

But if, at this point, you're still adamant, then I guess we can't all be smart.

Look out for these signs.

A moving tail means he's pretty relaxed as opposed to a stiff, pointed one.

Wings tucked in and staying so means he doesn't think he'll need to pursue you.

Charging / coming straight at you isn't what you want. You want shuffling steps, deciding whether to trust you.

Smoke out of his nose means get your ass out of there or get it fried.

Eyes that are narrowed, that are slittier than they usually are means back up slowly, hands raised.

Leave and come back the next day. Try not to skip days until you both have a relationship.

But what if he's curious about you?

When he gets close, look up at him innocently as though saying "me? I live to serve you," and go back to your book.

He'll soon stop his exploration and go back to whatever he was doing.

Do this everyday until he comes up to you and lays beside you.

Ah. Now you're almost there.

Slowly reach over and pet his head gently, carefully. That's a literal danger zone.

The next day, after that touching moment, leave something of yours overnight. A cloak or that book you were reading, for instance.

If it's in a state you wouldn't want to see yourself, go back to the sitting-outside-his-den stage.

But if it's fine, no burns or tears, stay in the house with him for a few minutes a day after feeding him, just walking around. Brush against him once or twice.

And give him a name. Call the name everytime you feed him, say it as you leave, use it to gesture to him. That's the only thing you should be saying to him at this point.

Make sure he hasn't been named before. It's rare a dragon takes a new name easily.

Then finally, when your dragon answers to his name, huzzah!

You've done it. You have succeeded where others have badly, horribly, terribly failed.

This is very much possible. My best friend and sister both have a dragon and I personally have three.

But it's also possible to die. So I recommend you going slowly and steadily and also having someone nearby.

Now go, my potential Dragon Ryders. Go tame your dragons!