3

Tsukishima hadn't realised he'd been cold, nor that he'd let a tear slip. He just wanted to forget, forget the pain and the suffering and the oddity that he was.

He was too emotionally exhausted to react when he felt someone take off his headphones, especially when he saw who those warm, tan hands belonged to. "Tetsu," he whispered, looking up at the other male as tears began to fill his eyes. Now that Kuroo was up close, Tsukishima could see him even clearer, see the face of the boy that saved his life.

"Kei, Moonshine," he heard the other mumble, before pulling him into a warm hug. It was different, but at the same time exactly how he remembered it, and Kei hadn't realised exactly how much he'd missed this. Kuroo's voice was deeper now, yet when he said his name it still held the same softness and sweetness as before.

Those silky wings wrapped around him, protecting him from the now harsh winds, and any prying eyes. It was just him and Tetsurou, together again at last. He couldn't help it; once again, Tsukishima let out a sob, beginning to cry and curl closer into that warm embrace. Kuroo was sweaty but he didn't care, none of it mattered to him anymore. "Tetsu!" he sobbed, clinging on to him and letting all the tears fall.

Tetsurou gladly held him close, stroking through his hair and holding him just like he'd done back when they were kids and they didn't realise the lasting damage that everything would have on their lives. "I'm here, Moonshine, I promise," he whispered, pressing a kiss to his head and just continuing to comfort him despite being close to tears himself. "How I've missed you, Kei, I was worried I'd never see you again. I thought I'd lost you, I thought that the last time I would ever see you would be when you were taken away on that stretcher. I should have gotten help quicker, I should have done something, anything to stop him but I couldn't. I was so weak."

Tsukishima glanced up at Kuroo, and even though the tears he could tell that the other male was hurting as well. The way his voice seemed strained, he knew that feeling all too well. "You saved me, Tetsu, I really would have been gone if not for you. You did everything you could have done, and I don't blame you for anything," he said, letting out another choked sob and burying his face in the crook of the third year's neck. "It's just been too hard without you, I don't even know where to begin. It all hurt, I didn't know how to live without my wings, but mostly without you. I just wish that you could have come with me."

"Kei," he heard Kuroo whisper, "I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there for you. But I'm here for you now and that's not going to change." He gently pulled away somewhat from him, cupping the blond's cheek and carefully brushing away his tears. "Personally, I think you're much prettier when you're not crying, but I'll take you any way you come. I don't care about any scars or issues you have, and I'll help you through anything and everything, Moonshine. As long as I can have my Kei back, that's all I want and need."

Tsukishima looked up at him, a small blush on his cheeks. Those words, the fact that Kuroo still wanted to be close with him even if it was almost ten years since they last saw each other, it all meant a lot to him. "I think I can do that, Tetsu," he whispered, giving the other male a small yet genuine smile. "I missed you so much, Tetsu. Your hugs and your smile and your stupid bed hair, I missed it all. It's like I'm back home."

Kuroo smiled warmly at him in return and let out a happy sigh. "I second that motion. I missed having you close since you would hug me back and I was so happy. I really loved you a lot back then," he admitted softly, continuing to just stroke his thumb across Kei's cheek gently. "I still do, love you I mean. I don't think I can really define what type of love, but all I know is you're so important to me and I need you in my life."

"Oh, Tetsu," he murmured, carefully moving his hand to the other male's hair and gently running his fingers through it. "I think you worded it better than I could, but I feel the same way. Your hair is really soft, by the way, even if it's a mess." He gave him another small smile, feeling more relaxed and at peace. Ten years later they were still on the same page, able to slip so comfortably back into each other's embrace. It made his heart beat faster, and though he knew he truly loved Kuroo in that sort of undefined way, he also felt that he liked him as more than friends.