8

The first thing that Tsukishima noticed when he woke was how warm he was. He felt two pairs of arms and wings wrapped around him, and realised his own arms were wrapped around someone else. When he looked up, to no surprise he saw Kuroo there, smiling fondly at him. "Good morning, Moonshine," the dark haired male whispered, before nodding to the other person who was hugging Tsukishima. Bokuto gently pulled away and ran off to the bathroom, causing Kuroo to laugh softly. "It's only about six, but you know how early Bo gets up. He's been waiting to go to the toilet for a while but neither of us wanted to disturb you from your sleep."

Kei nodded a bit and hugged Tetsurou tighter, burying his face in the crook of his neck. "Thanks, Tetsu," he mumbled, voice muffled against the elder's skin.

Kuroo tilted his head a bit but held Tsukishima closer, gently running his fingers through his blond hair. "Is everything okay, Kei? I don't mind that you're affectionate like this, I quite like it in fact, but if it's because you're upset or not feeling great I want to look after you."

Tsukishima blushed and tried to hide it, taking a moment before quietly admitting what it was. "Y-You're warm and cuddly, Tetsu. Like a teddy bear, but big and safe... it sounds so weird when I put it like that though. I don't know, it just doesn't feel as bad when I'm close to you. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable." Kei didn't particularly feel great that morning, since he was exhausted, hungry and though he slept it hadn't been deep. Still, Tetsurou was warm and Kei did feel safe with him, like nobody would ever hurt him again. If he could try to cling to that little bit of happiness from being in his arms, then who could blame him?

It was Tetsurou's turn to blush, and he let out a small hum in disagreement to the last statement. "No need to apologise, Kei, you didn't do or say anything wrong. Like I said, I quite like it when you're affectionate, so it doesn't make me uncomfortable. And besides, I'm glad I can help you feel not so bad just by being here. So whenever you want me to be, I can be your teddy bear, okay?"

The blond glanced up at him, still blushing, and saw a gentle and loving expression on Kuroo's face. And then, in those beautiful hazel eyes, the comfort in knowing that those expressions were true and those words were genuine. Tsukishima had learnt a long time ago that one's eyes uncovered the whole story, more so than words and expressions. Eyes uncovered the lies and truths, and affirmed what was already confirmed by words. His internal fears relieved, Kei nodded and gave him a small smile in return, mumbling a 'thank you' and returning to burying his face in the crook of Kuroo's neck. He nuzzled the other softly, taking in his scent and just relaxing for the moment. It wasn't too late, so they could spend some time like that until it was time to get up for breakfast.

Tetsurou simply held Kei close and ran his fingers through his blond locks, murmuring little nothings to him to prevent the silence. He knew, they both did, that silence meant too many wandering thoughts, that it made it too easy to slip into the ocean of negative emotions and never emerge. In that moment it wasn't quite perfect, but at the same time it was, and that was what scared them both.

It was as if time slipped away from their grasps; it was whisked away and stolen from them, and soon it was time to get up and ready for the day. Time was not their friend, not before and not now.

Tsukishima pulled away from Kuroo, but stayed in the futon, curled up and hugging the pillow the other had been using (there had been three of them, thus three pillows). The captain had to leave to have a shower and get ready for the day but promised to be back soon to accompany him to breakfast. Kei wasn't ready to leave bed yet, it smelled like Tetsurou and still held his warmth. The fact that Kei didn't have his glasses either was also an issue; he'd been too overwhelmed last night for it to have been an issue, but now he had the day ahead of him. He couldn't expect people to babysit him all day, since they had volleyball training and practice games to do and that was more important than him.