Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Tony’s (Ace) POV

            I was standing in the kitchen trying to figure out what to cook for dinner when Carlos called me. “Hey.” I answer, smiling at the sound of his voice. “Hello mi belleza (my beauty). I was wondering if you’d like to go out for lunch with me.”

            “I’d love to Carlos. Where do you want me to meet you?” I ask but he doesn’t answer. Suddenly I hear my doorbell ring and I turn around. “Hang on for just a minute. Someone’s at the door.” I tell him as I make my way quickly to the front door. I swing it open and stand there staring, frozen. Carlos was standing on my front porch holding his phone and smiling. He closes his phone and slips it into his pocket and I do the same.

            He steps a little closer to me and whispers, “You should know that I always come and pick up my date when I’m taking them out.” I blush and smile. “Let me just grab my arm,” I say motioning to my left stub, “and I’ll be ready to go.” I rush to my room and pull my prosthetic arm. I slip it on and check my reflection in the mirror on the back of my door. Nodding once, I hurry back to Carlos.

            I lock the house and follow him to his car where he opened the door for me and shut it after I slide into the seat. He gives me a smile as he walks around to get in. Carlos’ birthday was in a week, but I still hadn’t managed to find him anything. I couldn’t believe that he was turning 24. He always wanted to celebrate my birthday, but I refused. We spent two hours at Mom’s Diner, laughing and talking. As we walked out, the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand up, and very slowly, I started to look around. My eyes landed on the two black SUVs at the red light, and I could just make out a person in the passenger seat that seemed to be looking our way.

            As the light turned green and they drove on down the road, I brushed the feeling off. “Are you alright there Tony?” Carlos asked and I could hear the concern in his voice. I smile up at him. “I’m fine.” He started to say something else, but I cut him off. “Have you asked Lucy out yet?” He blushes and looks away, making me laugh softly. “Not yet Tony and you know why.”

            I sigh and loop my arm through his as we started walking towards his car. “And I told you Carlos why it can’t be. I love you, but it’s more like a sisterly type of love. Besides, I don’t think my heart would be able to bear that kind of loss again. First it was Tech, and then Henry, the guys, my brother and my parents. So, please for my sake, let’s remain friends. Ask Lucy out for a date this weekend, or I’ll ask her for you and you’ll have to go.”

            Once we reach his car, he opens the door for me, but I just stand on the sidewalk looking at him. “Will you ask her Carlos?”

            “I’ll think about it Tony.” I huff and cross my arms. “That girl is head over heels in love with you. You better ask her soon because, here’s a news flash Carlos, you’re not the only guy in this town that could get her. Take Jensen there,” I motion towards the police office standing on the porch of the post office, “I know for a fact that he has his eye on her.” He sighs and holds his arms up in surrender. I smile. “I’ll ask her after I drop you off at home.” I laugh softly and get in the car, but it wasn’t a real laugh. I missed Henry and Luke. But I knew it was safer this way, if not for me for my family. And that’s all that mattered to me.