Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Tony’s POV

Once the plane touched down in D.C., I was surprised to find that John was still out. Taking the opportunity to leave without him knowing, I slip out of the plane. Taking one of the SUVs, I head into the city. I had one place to stop before making my way to the home of General Cain.

Stopping at a house, I get out of the car and walk up to the door. I knock on it twice before it opens and I step in. Nodding once at the man, I wait until he shuts the door behind me. “I’m calling in that favor you owe me.”

“What can I do for you Ace?”

“I need two pistols with silencers with plenty of ammo, and a few military issued blades if you have them. The pistols need to be untraceable.” He looks at me. “Are you sure that’s what you want as a favor? Ace, you could ask me to do anything and I’d do it for you.” I just smile at him. “Trust me, what I’m about to do, I wouldn’t ask anyone to do it for me. This job I must do alone.”

“Alright.” He nods once and hurries into the back room. He comes back and hands me a black case. “You’ll find two of the best military pistols along with the blades and silencers you asked for.” I turn to leave when he stops me. “Ace, if you need help, call me.”

“Thanks for everything.” I said as I slip out of the house and power walk back to the car. Sitting the case on the floorboard, I pull back into the road and disappear in traffic. I knew I didn’t have much time until John found out I was gone. But luck was on my side as of right now. He didn’t know what I was planning on doing.

John’s POV

As we drove through the city, I suddenly remember that one of Ace’s previous team mates lived here. I speed towards his house, and within fifteen minutes, I’m there. Telling the others to stay in the car, I rush up the steps and start banging on the door. After several minutes, he finally answers. When he sees me, he glances behind me.

“Johnny, the others are in the car. I just need to know if Ace was here. And if she was, what did you give her?” Johnny looks at me nervously. “She was here; I won’t lie to you John. But all she wanted was a pistol and a knife.”

“Are you sure that’s all you gave her?”

“Yeah man, I’m sure. I owe her my life, and when she said that’s all she wanted as a favor, I didn’t question why. She’s been gone about ten minutes.” I thank him and run back to the car. Just as I shut the door, my phone rings. “Hello.”

“This is Carlos Caballero and I’m calling to speak to one John Hackett.”

“You got him. What can I do for you?” I asked a little curious. “I promised Tony, Ella, that I would leave this alone, but I don’t like the idea of her facing this man by herself.”

“What man?!”

“The man that placed the bounty on her head. His name is General Marcus Cain.”

“Thanks.” I say before slamming my phone shut and stomping on the gas. Muttering under my breath, I swerve through traffic. “What’s up Spark Plug?” Sam asked. “That was Caballero. He said that the person who put the bounty on Ace’s head is here in D.C. and she’s going to face him alone. He’s General Cain.” Flint and Powder swore under their breath, but Jake just looked lost. “Bounty?! My sister had a bounty on her head and you didn’t think to mention it to me?”

“We had a lot more on our mind at the time Jake, sorry.” Sam tells him before facing me. “So I take it we’re heading to his house now?”

“We are. If you check under the back seat, you’ll find some rifles already loaded.” Driving like a mad man, I managed to make it to the General’s house in under an hour. Pulling into his drive way, we all jump out of the car and Sam throws me a rifle. As we make our way towards the house, we made sure to keep Jake behind us.

Reaching the back door, I notice that it’s open. Stepping in, I almost trip over the bodies of what appeared to be bodyguards. Feeling for a pulse, I smile. Ace was never one that killed innocents. They would wake up with killer headaches. “Jake, you stay here and keep an eye out. We’ll have your sister out as fast as we can.” He nods and the three of us head deeper into the house.

The closer we got to the study, the louder the voices became. I could make out Cain’s but I didn’t head Ace’s. Suddenly a scream spills from the study and we bust in. Only to find Ace standing above the General’s body. She turns and sees us, and her eyes become hardened. “Carlos?”

I knew what she was asking so I just nodded. Stepping closer, I turn my back to the body and face Ella. “What in the name of all that’s honest do you think you’re doing facing him alone? We could have lost you again Ace. It almost killed us the first time.”

“I’m sorry Spark Plug. But I couldn’t afford to place y’all at risk. He would have gladly killed y’all just to get at me. On my first mission before I joined our team, I had to take down his younger brother. I guess he never got over that.” She said. Suddenly, I find myself being shoved out of the way as two gunshots fill the air.

I hit the wall and land on the floor. Getting up slowly, I look at Ace. She was facing the General holding a pistol with a silencer on it. My gaze slowly turns to Cain, and I see to small bullet holes between his eyes. As it dawns on me, I move towards Ace but I wasn’t fast enough. She falls to ground and rolls on her back. She had two bullet wounds in her chest and they were bleeding badly.

“Sam, get Jake in here now. Jason, go get the med kit from the car.” I order as I start applying pressure to the wounds. I could hear them running out of the house, but my focus was on my best friend. “Don’t give up on me Ace. You need to fight, we need you here.” I tell her, trying to keep my eyes clear of the tears I could feel building up.

She smiles at me and places her hand on my face. “I’m too tired to fight anymore John. It’s my time to go. I’m truly sorry for these last few years. But it was my belief that I was keeping everyone I loved safe from harm.” Jake rushes into the room and kneels beside me. He takes her hand and I could tell that he was fighting back tears as well. Sam was standing behind me. “Tell Jason to hurry up.” I snap my voice thick with emotion.

Ella gasped several times, and I knew we were fighting a losing battle. The bullets had caused too much damage for her to live. I hear Jason running back into the room, but it’s too late. She looks each of us in the eye and smiles softly. “Please forgive me. I couldn’t. Find another way.” She coughs and blood comes up. “Jake, I want to be buried beside Luke please. And tell Dad…Tell him I’m sorry.”

By the time she’s finished talking, we can barely hear her. I keep applying pressure until I feel her take her last breath. Feeling for a heartbeat that I know isn’t there, I just sit back speechless. The four of us just sit there stunned. Never in a million years did I see this coming.

Five hours later found us driving back to the hanger with Ace’s body in the back of the car. We cleaned the house and made it look like a break in. We were taking Ella to be buried beside Luke like she asked. And to be honest, I don’t think it fully registered with any of us yet that she was truly gone this time. There was no second chance of finding her again.