Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Tony’s POV

It took me three hours to make it back to my house. Slipping through the back door quietly, I make my way to the living room where I find John asleep on my couch. Sitting in the chair, I call him name. In seconds, he’s awake. “Where did you go Ella?” Concern for me filled his voice, but I just shook it off.

“John, I need a favor. And I know that right now, you probably don’t want to do one for me. If you fly me to D.C., I’ll come clean about everything, and I’ll tell everybody that I’m alive. Deal?” I look at him. He looked confused, but nods slowly. “Deal. When do you want to leave?”

“Right now would be perfect?”

“What’s the big rush to get to D.C.?”

“There’s a judge there that can revoke the certificate that states I’m dead. And I would like to stop by and see Luke’s parents as well.” I add softly and he nods. I follow him to his car and jump into the seat. I remembered General Cain, and I knew that there was a good chance that I wasn’t coming out of this fight alive. But there was no way I was going to tell John that. He’d want to get the others down here to help, and I was not doing that. Letting out a sigh, I close my eyes. Life seems to get so complicated when you least expect it too.

John’s POV

As I drive to the airstrip, I rack my brain trying to figure out her real reason of wanting to go to D.C. She spoke to calm and her eyes had a certain glint about them. I was used to seeing that when we were gearing up for a mission that she knew would be a tough one. Shaking my head, I come to a stop in front of the hanger that housed my plane.

Before I could put the SUV in park, Ella had her door open. Jumping out, I toss the keys to Ian. “Tell Diageo that I have to make a short stop in D.C. I don’t know how long it’ll take, but I’ll let you know when I’m done.” He nods and I follow Ella into the plane. Within minutes we’re flying down the runway. Looking over at her, I see that she has her eyes closed. But I had seen that pose to many times to be fooled by it. She was clearing her mind; getting her body ready for a fight ahead.

Sighing softly, I pull out my phone and make my way to the back of the plane. Dialing Sam’s number I wait for him to pick up. “John, what’s up?”

“I’m taking Ace to D.C. right now, but something’s wrong. She’s acting like she’s heading on a mission. I need you and Jason to get down there as fast as you can. Make sure you stay hidden, I don’t know how she’d react if she saw both of y’all there as well. I have a feeling that something big is going down; something she’d rather now let us in on.”

“Sure thing, let me tell Jason.” The phone goes silent for several seconds and I take that time to check on Ace. I find her looking out the window with a look of almost peace on her face. Then suddenly, a look of pain and sorrow takes it place. But when I blink, it’s gone. “Hey, Jason said he’s game. Oh, and Jake’s coming as well.”

“That’s good. I’ll be in hanger 34A.” I hang up and make my way back to my seat. “Who was that?”

“Jake, he wanted to talk to you.”

“I’ll talk to him after this.” She says softly, her eyes still focused out the window. “What’s really in D.C. Ace?” I ask but as I expected, she didn’t answer me. Rolling my eyes, I pull out my laptop and get in touch with Diageo. He emailed me about several new job offers, but I told him they’d have to wait until I got back to the office.

Keeping Ella safe was my job right now. And if I knew Ace, I knew that it wouldn’t be an easy job. Closing my eyes for a short nap, I let my mind go blank. Hours later, I find myself being shaken away. Blinking, I look up in surprise. Jason, Sam and Jake were standing before me, but Ella was nowhere in sight. “We’ve got to find her.” We rush out of the plane and pile into the black SUV waiting for us. But we didn’t have a clue on where to start looking.