[ 7 ] catch me

shipping: dream (clay) x georgenotfound (george)
other characters: sapnap (nick)
type: fluff
au: established relationship, they're all living close together
warnings: none

- nick's pov -

Frantic ringing and knocking on his door made Nick look up from his phone. With an annoyed groan he got up from his bed where he had been chilling up until a second ago. He crossed his small apartment and opened the door with a jerk, staring at the person outside.
"Who died?"
Clay stopped harassing the poor door bell to stare at him in confusion.
"What?"
Nick rolled his eyes at his friend. "Since you're basically breaking into my apartment, I figured something important happened. So, who died?"
Clay dropped his confused expression and scoffed, squeezing through the door past Nick into his apartment. "No one died, you idiot. I'm running from George and need to hide."
Nick closed the door and followed Clay who was now clinging to the living room window, searching for any sign of his boyfriend like he had some form of paranoia. Which he probably had.
"So... You're playing that stupid game again?", Nick asked, crossing his arms and watching him skeptically.
Clay nodded absentmindedly. "Yep, and George will lose again!"

Nick laughed, letting it go. Whenever Clay and George were playing one of their manhunts they went completely crazy, doing everything to somehow trick the other better than he did and win the game. Considering they were boyfriends it was scary how competitive they were.
Nick himself was not interested in joining their stupid game, but inevitably he got involved anyway, even if only to provide a place to hide - like Clay did right now. 
Speaking of... Returning from his quest to his bedroom to pick up his phone, Nick found Clay now at the door, scanning the stairway through the peephole. Answering a few messages, he went to get something to drink, calling back at Clay: "Do you want some water? You've probably been running for a while."
"Huh? Yeah, yeah, sure...", Clay answered distractedly, running back to the window.

Nick grabbed two glasses of water and returned to the window, handing Clay his water and standing beside him. The view wasn't that spectacular, only the streets three floors below them and buildings on the other side of the road. Nick didn't care, he liked his small apartment anyways. 
"Dont you think he's gonna find you here?", he mused, shoving Clay slightly to get his attention. "You hid here last time."
"I dont know, he might think I'm not here because I've been here last time. Or he might think that I'm here because he thinks I think that he thinks that I'm not here."
"Clay, you're hurting my brain, stop it!", Nick laughed, unable to follow his friends thoughts. "You're way too smart for an average human like me."
Clay laughed at him. "It's not my fault you're an idiot!" Then he sipped from his water and made a dismissive gesture, returning to the topic. "It doesn't really matter anyway if George finds me. I can just run again, that fire escape you have here is so op."

Nick hummed approvingly, looking back at the other window in his small kitchen. It lead out to a metal lattice staircase which was almost connected to the ground. There was a two meter drop at the bottom to stop random people from coming up, but it was pretty easy to get down. Clay used it to escape George last minute the last time the played and won the game, so he hoped for the trick to work again. Nick had to admit, it was a good plan, having two exits you couldn't really block and not easily sneak up on, and almost impossible to counter.
For one person, that is.

The small ding from his phone tore Nick from his thoughts. Clay also seemed to be lost in thought, at least he was startled by the noise.
"What time is it, by the way? I gotta survive until five."
"Why don't you just look at your own phone?", Nick argued, reading the message he received.
"Uh... I don't have it with me?", Clay tried but Nick just gave him an "stop your bullshit" look.
There weren't many rules to his friends' little hunting game, but you had to have your phone with you so the other could track you over the app they coded. It only showed the direction the other player was in though, not the exact place, but it was still the most existential part of the game.
"I know you have it with you, you're just too lazy to take it out from your pocket."
Clay grinned. "Maybe."
Nick gave up. "It's a little after four. You should have this win in-" He broke off, perking up. "Or maybe not."