[ 11 ] not alone

characters: purpled (grayson), gamerboy80 (andrew)
type: angst, comfort
au: high school
warnings: homophobia, mentions of violence

This oneshot was written as an empty story, meaning with no characters in mind. I had a few possible characters to replace the A and B it was written with afterwards and finally settled on these two because why not. I love them, there's not enough (basically no) fanfiction about them and they fit in well enough.

gb80's parents are completely fictional, don't worry about them.

X-x-X-x-X

- grayson's pov -

"Hey! You're Grayson, right?" 
The unknown voice made Grayson look up from his lunch to an equally unknown guy. He was older than him, probably a junior or senior, and smiled at him - an expression Grayson wasn't used to anymore. 
"None of your business.", he answered gruffly, returning to picking at his meal. The cafeteria food was actually decent but he had a lack of appetite lately. 
The sound of metal scratching over the floor made him look up again on reflex. The strange guy had pulled out the chair opposite of him and sat down, unfazed by Grayson's harsh tone and a genuine seeming smile on his lips. Grayson didn't trust it. Lately when people smiled at him it was because his tears and pain amused them. 
"I take that as a yes, adding to the fact you're here all alone and people looked at me funny for even coming over here." 
Grayson sighed, exasperated. "What do you want? If you want to call me slurs, go ahead, I'm good at not listening. If you want to beat me up could you please let me finish my lunch first?" 
Sarcasm was dripping from his words, but they had a bitter undertone. When had this became his life? 
'Oh right', he answered the question for himself, even being cynical in a conversation with himself. 'Two weeks ago when everybody found out you're gay.'

The other guy had the audacity to laugh at him. 
"No, don't worry, I'm a hundred percent on your side." He grimaced, looking away. "In fact, I'm sorry I'm only showing up now. It took the freshmen's gossip a while to get through to us seniors." 

Grayson stared at him in bewilderment. What was the boy talking about? Sure, he was right, their school's students were pretty separated with having different parts of the building reserved for the different years. But the thought of someone being on his side all of a sudden felt strange to him. 

"Who even are you?" Grayson had a lot of questions but this one seemed like a good start. 
"Oh, my bad. I'm Andrew. I heard that a concerningly large part of the freshmen were beating up some poor kid because their gay, but it took me a while to find you. That is you, right?" 
Grayson dropped his gaze down at the table in shame and fear. "Yes." There was no point in even denying it. 

"Okay, good. Look, listen to me, alright?"
Andrew sounded so sincere, so friendly, Grayson couldn't help but hope that maybe - just maybe - this guy wasn't as bad as… literally everybody else in his life. 
"I know this school is very fucked up, half the teachers are homophobes and the other half is racist and the students - most students - are no bit better. I'm not most students, I'm here to help you, trust me." 
Andrew stopped for a moment, checking if the other was still following his monologue. Grayson just stared at him wide-eyed.
"Rumours say someone saw you making out with another guy at a party and it spread from there. That true?" 

"Uh…" Grayson was stunned for a moment. No one had bothered to ask him the truth until now. "No, it's not. I've never been to any party, I just made the mistake to be honest when someone asked me if I was gay." He snorted, angry at himself. "I should have lied." 
Andrew winced in sympathy. "Yeah, maybe. There's a reason I'm still in the closet to most, this school isn't the best place to have a safe coming out." 
Grayson inhaled sharply. "You're…?"
"Gay? Not directly, I'm pan. But that wouldn't matter to the homophobic assholes around here. But anyways, I'm not only here to talk to you." He smiled again, this time softer, and his voice got a careful tone. "The reason I'm here today is that I heard your parents kicked you out yesterday?"