9. Jamais vu

Jamais vu🍃

My eyes widened in bewilderment and delight as I stared at the familiar yet new scenery in front of me. The lake was as beautiful and calm as I remembered, the night sky just as glorious and bright with the unfathomable number of stars and moon decorating it's dark canvas, birds made melodious music with their sweet chirpings while the waterfall sang through its currents. My heart warmed and tears pooled in my eyes at the memories of my mother as I whispered "Lover's Lake"

Taehyung stood beside me eyeing the view as well. "Have you been here before?" he asked with raised eyebrows as I shaked my head at his question. "No but this place was very dear to my mother. So dear that she painted it just before she passed" I said as he merely nodded at me and proceeded to sit on the ground with his feet dipped in the water while I followed him after. "Tell me about your mom" he said looking at me with curious eyes that were glowing under the moonlight. A small smile stretched on my lips at the memory of my mom.

"My mom was a lovely woman, she'd love everyone wholeheartedly and protect them at any cost. When I was younger, she'd sneak me into the village sometimes so that I could have a life out of the four walls out of my house too. That's how I met Lina. Although the other villagers would see be as someone superior and keep their distance with me, I loved going to the village with my mom. She was a very cheerful woman with a beautiful smile always carved on her lips. Little did I know she only did it for us"

Taehyung looked at me with an expression that explained that he didn't understand what I meant by that, and I didn't expect him to either. "When I was younger, I heard my mother and grandmother having a conversation once. Even as a kid I could tell that their conversation was not very delightful so I decided to listen in" I let out a sigh reminiscing the moment "My mom was truly in love with a villager. She met him when she was a little kid and they eventually fell in love. But my grandma didn't approve of him because she wanted her daughter to marry a wealthy man"

"Then what happened?" Taehyung asked in anticipation. "My mother was forced to get married to my father. She was extremely saddened but didn't oblige because she didn't want to anger her mother or trouble the one she loved". My lips turned down in sadness thinking about all the sacrifices my mother had to make for others. "She made me promise that I'd never tell my siblings or father about it and told me that she was happy now that she has us but I could tell she still felt empty without him. And this place, this is where they met for the last time"

"I'm sure your mother and her lover are happy now since this is where they last met" Taehyung said as I hummed at him to explain further. "This place has a story you know?" he said making me turn towards him in curiosity.

"Myth says that hundreds of years ago a man and a woman named Adrian and Esther fell in love with each other. At the time this place was the intersection between two enemy nations so everyday they'd have to sneak out of their houses and meet each other here. However, when the Kings of both the nations found out about them, they immediately demanded to have them beheaded"

"Being defenseless and weakened, Adrian and Esther jumped off of the waterfall and drowned themselves in the lake. Since then, this place was name as Lover's Lake. It is said that the departed souls of Adrian and Esther still linger in this place but this time, they are smiling at each person that loves someone wholeheartedly. The beauty represents their happiness, the calmness represents the end of wars and the place as a whole-"

Taehyung suddenly stopped so I tugged at the sleeve of his shirt asking "The place means?"

"The place as a whole represents unrequited Love between two people and it is said that whoever comes to this place with the ones they love by their side, will have them by their side forever" Taehyung slowly slided his hand in mine intertwining our fingers together while he looked away as a pink tint shaded his rosy cheeks. I smiled to myself seeing him so flustered and hesitant about a small gesture. Trust me it is a rare sight.

"I'm glad my mother is finally with the one she loves and actually deserves her" I said. Taehyung frowned at me as he said "Don't say that. You father may have been strict on you but I'm sure it is because he wants to protect you. He probably cared a lot for your mother too" . I balled my hands into fists as my eyes narrowed in anger. "He wouldn't have killed her if he did" I seethed through my teeth as Taehyung widened his eyes in astonishment "I'm sorry-"

"How shallow is this lake?" I asked without looking at him. He furrowed his eyebrows at me as he asked "Not that shallow, why?" . "Great" I said standing up in from my position. "Yah are you planning to die on me?" the fact that he looked almost too serious while asking such a stupid question made me facepalm myself. "No Taehyung" I said "I just want to be in the water for a while". He sighed in relief as he said "Thank god. I thought you were so touched by the story that you were gonna pull the new Esther"

Not bothering to response to his stupidity, I wanted into the water and stopped when it reached right above my knee. "This feels so good" I said slowly moving my legs inside the water. "It'll feel better when you're underwater" Taehyung said matter-of-factly while standing in front of me. "I'm not getting my clothes wet" I said as a devilish smile formed on his face "Oh yeah?" . Next thing I know, Taehyung splashed sprays of water on me drenching my dress almost completely. "Yah Kim Taehyung" I said splashing water on him too while he simply laughed at me.

"Hey look" Taehyung said before cupping his hand inside the water to trap a small orange fish in it as I aww-ed at it's beauty. "Don't worry it's not a water monster" he said cheekily smiling at me while I glared at him."It's beautiful" I said looking at the tiny fish. "It is" I looked up to find Taehyung staring back at me with a small smile playing on his lips.

"That was so cliché"

"You liked it"

"In your dreams"

"Oh trust me you do a lot more in my dreams"

"Taehyung!"

"I was talking about fishing. What did you think?"

"You're unbelievable"

"Yah Kim Taehyung" our conversation was interrupted by a young man dressed in loose clothes. I noticed a huge scar running down his eyes, stopping right above his cheekbones highlighting his pale skin.