Mirror Masa - Dathan

I felt the vibration of sound on the bed as the phone beside me rang, I was tired not wanting to pick it up but I did. "Hello?" I asked groggily into the line, the sun was up and I had slept a lot longer than I should have even if I had needed it.

"Hi, this is Britney from the bar. We met a few weeks ag..." some girl tongued into the phone. I hung up the phone before I heard anymore, not what I wanted to wake up to. I groaned, my eyes closed, my wolf seething with unnecessary jealousy. She kept trying to take back control back, she was completely thrown off with the reintroduction of her mate not that I would be willing to admit it.

I rang the number, I had memorized oh so well, "Hi Linds" I spoke after the second ring. "How's my boy today?" I asked quietly, I knew the answer but I needed to ask anyways.

"Mason hasn't slept Scarlette, he's not eating and he won't let anyone come near him. He doesn't understand where you went and I don't know how to explain it to him, please tell me you're coming home soon?" my heart hurt at her words, I need to get back.

"I will be back before lunch, tell Mason I'm coming. Hopefully it will calm him down, his wolf should become less defensive the closer I get" I promised and she knew I was right. With my return home he should become much more humane.

"Will Xavier come with you? Should I prepare the pack for him to stay with us for awhile? Prepare Mase?".

"No" I responded quickly and without hesitation. No one is ready for that reunion. "I'll be home soon Linds" we talked another minute before I ended the call.

I went down the stairs, finding myself in the kitchen it was clean. Almost too clean for a kitchen, nothing on the counters, no pots or pans to be seen as if it had never been used. It took me a couple minutes to find some pans to cook up the eggs and bacon I found in the back of the fridge.

I danced around the kitchen taking a warm cup of coffee the only appliance that looked the least bit used in such large space.

"Morning Scarlett" Xavier scared me as I stirred the scrambled eggs in the pan trying to thicken them up with cheese. "I thought you wanted to be friends, if you keep walking around like that my wolf won't be able to control himself". His eyes were dark but the lightness in his smile was lightening.

"No you won't, no matter who you are, you won't be touching with me without my consent" he riddled back.

"You're right, I won't. Not until you ask me." He taunted back, boy did this boy grind my gears. I treated with him a glare before sliding him the extra eggs I had made.

"Can I borrow a car, maybe some actual clothes? I need to get home." I asked my mouth still half full with bacon. I had been a lot hungrier then I thought I was.

"Someone waiting for you?" I shook my head, but the voice in head yelled yes. "There isn't someone else is there Scarlette?" he whispered moving closer to me. I said nothing trying to hold myself tall as he quickly made up ground. My body was reacting to his closeness, I shivered as his finger ran across the bareness of my legs. "Why the hell do you smell like Luke?" what was he talking about... The shirt, Luke's shirt that I was still wearing after I shifted yesterday. 

I tried to explain but his grip around his legs tightened and I was flesh against him. I would never admit how badly I still wanted him as I felt the flex in his muscled arms as I pushed him away. Taking a step back I stripped off Luke's shirt in one swift movement, "here you go Xavier" I said tossing the material at his head. His eyes were wide, just as surprised at my actions as I was. "Make sure that the dishes are put in the sink, you can leave clothes for me on my bed" my wolf was trying to take control but I wasn't having it, I knew my eyes were still dark when I spoke next "my family is waiting for me, mate". I walked up the stairs without a look back. 

After I was showered, I was pleasantly surprised to see a pair of sweatpants and a loose sweater sitting on the bed. I hadn't expected my outburst to actually get me anywhere, if anything I was totally embarrassed of my actions by the time I had reached my room. 

I skipped down the stairs, letting out a sigh of relief when I was met with a smiling Luke laying awkwardly feet off the ground over the arm of the couch. "Good morning Sunshine, now what did you have for breakfast this morning?" I laughed, he didn't respond only sending a glare back my way.

"You ready to go?" I nodded, already headed out the door. 

The drive was awkwardly quietly and I was surprised to find myself questioning if he was still upset about the night prior, him thinking I had left Xavier. I was about to make a move but he spoke before I could, "My mate died last year" my mouth opened in shock as the words fell out of his mouth. "I found her the week after Xavier became alpha" I stayed quiet unsure of how to respond to his shocking words. "She died a couple months ago, rougues". 

"What was she like?" his eyes brightened a bit and he turned his head to look at me. "You would have liked her, she was fearless one of the best trackers I have ever known. She was loud, told people how it was, but the most selfless person I've ever known." He continued, talking excitedly of the memories they had together, how he won her over in the first hour by buying her a milkshake and how she frequently mouthed off at Xavier even when she knew she shouldn't. How she had been able to get ahead of three rogue attacks, saving whole packs from being destroyed and how she had died fighting a rogue off a pup. I nodded, laughed and even let a few tears out as he talked of the love of his life. 

I directed him more as we reached my pack grounds, "I am sorry I was awful last night, I just can't wrap my head around two mates not being together. I don't get why you left him, I don't get how you have just disappeared." 

After this car ride Luke was a completely different person than I had thought, although he had gone through so much he was still able to be a goofball, to paste a smile on his face. "We both know that I wouldn't just leave my mate" he gripped the steering wheel tightly and his knuckles grew white. He knew I was right, he finally grasped the truth.

We were now in the driveway but I knew what I had to do, I had to start somewhere. I nodded at Luke to join me as I approached the house, the door flew open and Linds leaned on the frame smiling "someones been waiting for you". 

I smelt Mason on me before I even saw him coming, his arms wrapped tightly around my neck, his legs dangling off my hips. I am sure he must've grown overnight, I trailed my fingers up and down soothingly and I felt the tension lessen in his muscles. I found Luke's chestnut eyes glued to Mason, his body was still frozen a few steps behind us. "Mason I brought a friend of mine for you to meet" I said quietly in his ear. "This is Luke", Mase turned his head away from the nape of neck to the tall figure, his hands still clenching the fabric of the back of my shirt. 

I watched as the wave of realization hit, him seeing the reincarnation of his best friend at that age. His mouth fell agape as Mason growled at him, "Hi there little man, I'm Luke" he carefully brought his hand out to Mase. I was surprised to see him take it in his own and shake it before shying back into my neck with embarrassment. 

I let out a laugh, what a kid. "Come on in for lunch Luke, your stomach has been grumbling for the past half hour." 

Luke was just within earshot, knowing full well that he heard every word as Mason questioned "Is this guy going to take us away and hurt you like last time?".

*** 

Hello all, 

I appreciate the votes and comments I have received from you guys thus far. Those little things motivate me to keep going. I hope that at this time you guys have been able to find positive ways to use your voices and help advocate for those that continue to be silenced. 

I have the privilege of supporting the movement of black lives matter  in safety, knowing I will not be targeted by the systemic violence that happens in this country. I stand in solidarity with POC. We are here to support. Lead the way.