Cough Syrup - Young the Giant

We walked in the house, Luke sat on the couch Mason in one arm a bowl of popcorn in the other. "I am sorry, anytime I put him down he would just follow me right back out the room," I understood, I hadn't been that reliable in the last 48 hours. He had just been worried, nothing a near 3 year-old should have to do.

"Come on baby," I took him from Luke with a small smile, "it's time for you to go to bed". Xavier shadowed me quietly as I took him up the stairs. Watching from the door as I tucked him into the unmade sheets I slept in the night before. "I will be right next door Mason, come get me if you need me," I kissed his cheeks sliding his baby hair out of his face behind his ear. "Oh how I love you sweet boy" I whispered to him, leaving Xavier to close the door behind me.

As promised I headed to the spare room on the other side of Mason's. I was just turning the doorknob when Xavier spoke, "stay with me tonight... I mean will you stay with me tonight?".

My eyebrow lifted in question but my wolf was satisfied. As much as I had wanted to argue, to say no and continue to my empty room I couldn't, my wolf was on edge and I couldn't allow her to take control. Surprising him I let go of the door, instead turning past him and heading into his room. It looked as it had from years prior, unlined walls and a navy comforter, a room of a teenage adolescent.

His eyes followed me as I let myself into his closet then his bathroom. Locking the door behind me I got in the shower, I was comforted by the warm water and washed my hair thoroughly. I had always loved the feeling of being clean.

I was surprised to see Xavier standing awkwardly in front of the door, almost unsure of what to do. I think he expected me to spend the night in the bathroom. His eyes questioning as I crawled into the far side of the bed. The bedside table on this side was untouched, almost collecting dust and it was reassuring that he had left it open. Left it cleared for someone else to put their stuff on. Apart of me ached with hope that he had been waiting for me.

He cleared his throat before doing the same thing I had done only minutes earlier, I only let out a breath when I heard the water running. As childish is it was I took the sparing pillows on our bed. Xavier's bed. Spreading them down the middle of the bed, a barrier, just like the ones that I used when Lindsay and I would fight.

I rolled over, my back to the bathroom watching as the clouds danced across the moon. I hadn't noticed the balcony before, the double doors opened loosely allowing a quiet breeze to sweep through the room, cold but reassuring.

The bathroom door opened and out of reflex I shut my eyes pretending to be asleep. I heard Xaviers loud steps walk around the room, closing the door, locking the breeze out. It really was just us now.

He climbed into bed and a deep laugh let his throat, "I didn't know you were making a fort tonight, intricate job with the different sizes of pillows. I'm impressed".

A small smile gifted my lips but was quickly shortened when I heard the pillows being thrown on the floor. "Hey!" I exclaimed, grabbing the pillows that were still on the bed forcibly down towards the mattress. "They stay."

He shook his head but a smile still plastered his face. "Okay, okay! I surrender, the pillows that are left will stay" he promised. He got up to kill the lights and I was thankful the day was over. "Goodnight Scarlett" he sang teasingly to me as he shrunk into bed beside me.

"Night" I muttered, turning my back to him, allowing sleep to overcome me.

It was early when I felt a poke to my cheek, I am going to smack Xavier I thought as I tightened my jaw. However when a second poke was delivered I opened an eye, Mason. From what I could tell the pillow barrier was still intact, I was appreciative that my mate respected my wishes. Together or not, the physical bond was hard to discredit.