The Purge - Scarlxrd

My head rang as I tried to open my eyes, my hands were restrained behind my back with any slight movement the bondage would tighten. It took me a few minutes to calm, to slow my breath and grasp my understandings, the last thing I needed was less mobility. It smelt of rust and the room was moist, likely underground. The first thing I did was try to reach Mason's scent, yet I felt nothing, I heard nothing, the sound of water dripping echoing in my ears.

I cried out when I heard movement, my eyes still unable to make out anything through the harsh light. I must have been dosed by something to dim my senses, my mind was in it but my body followed three steps behind me.

"Who is it?" I hissed once I heard something move again, still hiding in the depths of the shadows. I am tired of being a blind mouse.

"You were out much longer than we thought you would be. Your wolf put up quite the fight even when the drugs set in, I am surprised she didn't force you up sooner," a voice whispered near. I wasn't sure of who it was but their hoarseness told me that they had been down here much longer than I had.

"Have you seen him - my little boy, he's tall with wavy hair, looks much bigger than any other two-year olds his age."

The silence was deafening, "they've talked of him, the guards... they come around with scratches on their body, whatever he's doing he is able to take care of himself, don't worry mama."

It didn't satisfy but a weak form of reassurance, he was still alive and I needed to keep it that way. I crawled closer to the voice, allowing my aching feet to drag behind me, "who-".

Noise came from above, the loft voice whispering back, "just wait, they are coming."

The noise increased and I pulled back in agreement, away from the voice of reason. Turning myself away from the light, laying in an uncomfortable position I let my body fall limp. I didn't need them to suspect anything more than needed.

"I know you're awake Scarlette," I voice snaked itself into my ears. "I just want to talk" the voice sang to me, danger staining each of the words that he licked out. Whoever this was, he was chaotic, short-tempered, I needed to be careful to not put Mase in danger.

Footsteps neared the bars and I slowly moved my head so he could see my face, so he knew I was listening. My cheek was heavily swollen and the grimace I let out as my face laid on the concrete satisfied whatever he was looking for.

His black hair was slicked back behind his ears and his heavy clothing did not distract from his slim, spiny body he moved like a spider. His sunken muddied eyes, watched me as if I was a fly trapped in his web, his prey.

He knelt down as close to me through the bars and I am sure with a bit more energy I could slink one of my wrists through the bar and grab hold of his neck but instead I stayed still. "Where have you been my little ghost?" The voice stung as he reached through the bars, sweeping a piece of my matted hair behind my ear. My eyes strained him for some sense of familiarity but found none. "We've met before... don't tell me you've forgotten already?" He told me shyly, the threat evident.

My eyebrows furrowed in frustration, lifting in realization. "The diner, you came into the diner every Sunday when Mason and I were on the coast. You sat in the booth across from us, you're Connor, you would always share colouring sheets for Mas... but why?" I spoke aloud, my words tumbling out as the thought came to me.

His next words shocked me, "you left me, you didn't tell me where you were going, I needed to find you". His eyes were wide in desperation and I pulled myself away from his grip, "you and I are meant to be together. You and me and Mason, us. We were - are a family," he let out manically, "right Scarlette?" His eyes boring into mine, looking for something that wasn't there.

"Where is Mason?" I gritted through a slacked jaw. His shoulder slumped in exasperation as I left him unanswered.

Connor stood up, turning around and punching the metal bars behind him, blood running down his knuckle as he turned back, "our son is fine! He's being taken care of!"

Whatever was going on with this wolf was not okay, few words had ever been spoken between us. My perpetrator huffed and continued to shuffle down the length of the room. His pacing made me anxious, he was a ticking time bomb. Masons safety was my priority and I wasn't willing to compromise that by doing something stupid.

"Connor, how long was I out for?" The dried blood around me had been there for more than a couple days. My heart rate picked up and I knew he could sense my panic.

He moved closer to the bars but I proceeded back as far as I could. My heart sunk, " a week" he smirked out. "You hit your head. Concussion likely" he spoke openly in the air, as if someone else was in the room.

His black gaze found mine, "they think that you and Mason went on a getaway". He licked his lips, "somewhere hot and sunny I can imagine. Nobody's coming, nobody's looking," a smile found his eyes, "it's finally just us".

Without a second look Connors body crept back into the shadows. I held back a sob, a deep breath I didn't know I was holding back. I laid body flat on the ground, closing my eyes in defeat.