Chapter 6

◌The Stagehand◌

"Julian--Julian." Someone shoved me. I had gotten little sleep last night. I couldn't stop thinking of her. That woman whose ally was darkness. Whose face was deformed yet stunning. I was shoved again, this time I looked at my assailant. "Stop being a dewdropper." It was Richard. My dark-haired, goofy-looking friend.

"Sorry." I went back to fastening backdrops. Richard shoved me again. "What?"

"Is it a girl?"

"No, it's not a girl. I'm just tired." Richard laughed.

"Because she was keeping you up? Eh, eh?" He wiggled his eyebrows, elbowing me. I refrained from rolling my eyes and moved on to my next task. "Uh come on, Julian! Tell me! I'm your buddy!" I stared at him for a long moment before sighing. 

"Maybe it was a girl--" He gave a loud laugh of triumph. "But not in that way. We barely even spoke." Rich gave a groan.

"Come on. You're getting with a wallflower?"

"Not every woman has to meet your standards. And, like I've said, it's not like that. At all." He groaned again. 

"Then why are you so hung up on this chick?" Now that was the real question. She frightened me...but there was something about her. Something that drew me in. I just didn't know what yet. 

"I don't know." All I did know was I had to see her again. So, I went about my day watching the clock tick down the hours till I could escape to the stage and play again.