Chapter 22

◌The Twin◌

Odette and I stood in the kitchen, waiting for the water to boil. I stared at the woman, trying to work the courage up to talk with her. God, she was beautiful. Too beautiful if you asked me. But in--in a good way. I cleared my throat and leaned against the metal table that was littered with ingredients for tonight's dinner. 

The servants in here trying to cook hadn't taken kindly to our idea of making tea by ourselves in their workspace. But they let us as long as we didn't get in their way. "I've only been to Paris a couple of times," I spoke, gaining the redhead's attention. I felt my face heat.

"Oh?"

"Mainly to visit my grandfather's grave...." I wanted to slap myself. My grandfather's grave! "Uh--but also to visit my mother's old friends and see the sights. Melodie and I love it there."

"Melodie?" Something like jealousy flashed in her eyes. No--oh god!

"Melodie's my twin sister. Not like--I'm not--uh--" I gave a nervous laugh. Was it hot in here?

"Oh, yes. Gustave has told me about you two and your acrobatic acts. It's been so long since we've talked, I must have forgotten." I nodded my head, looking at the tea kettle. This water seemed to never boil. "You know, I find America very delightful." I looked back to her freckled face.

"Really?" She nodded her head, a strand of red hair falling from her top knot. I resisted the urge to tuck it behind her ear.

"Really. Especially now that I know you live here." It was boiling in here. How could the water not be ready yet? "It will give me a reason to come back." Dread filled my heart. Of course, she had to go back. I wish I had more time with her.

"When do you go?" She gave an elegant shrug, leaning against the metal table.

"It depends. I've been waiting for a man I know to ask me to dinner." Jealousy seized me. Who was this man? She gave a laugh and I knew I was the man. It made my face hotter.

"Oh...yes. Well, would you like to go to dinner with me?" She shrugged again, turning away from me.

"I don't know, monsieur. I will have to consider it." I gave a laugh as she turned her head, looking back at me.

"Madam, if I didn't know any better, I would think you were teasing me."

"Me? Teasing? No." This time, we laughed together. Before I could go on listing places to go, a sudden wave of anxiety hit me. But it wasn't mine. It couldn't be mine. I was having fun...then what--the anxiety grew and grew until it clutched my heart and gave a mighty tug. "Use your heart, boy. Not your eyes. Twins are bound together. Use the bond. Find her." Melodie. Something was wrong. 

The tea kettle, finally, gave a startling howl.