Chapter 10

◌The Shadow◌

The days seemed to get longer and longer the more Julian and I met each night. Was I enjoying tutoring him? No. Was I enjoying his company? Yes, most definitely. And it helped that he brought food with him. God did I love food. Though I hated having to play teacher, Julian was improving, and I couldn't help but be a bit proud.

Tonight was no different, I would appear, he'd play a bit and I'd correct him here and there, and then we would eat. Julian had brought bread, peas and carrots, and even a bit of meat. I knew he couldn't afford much, so I never complained. It was very good anyway. And tonight was very special because Julian also brought us a slice of his mother's pineapple upside-down cake. It had tasted like heaven! Julian finished before I did and stared into the darkness, trying to find me. "Why can't I see you?" I paused, looking to the stagehand. 

"Because there's nothing special to see." I shoved the last bit of cake into my mouth.

"Do you hide in the shadows because of--of your face?" The cake turned to ash in my mouth, but I forced myself to swallow. 

"Would you? If you were--disformed." Julian tapped his fork on his plate, staring at me though not seeing a thing.

"I wouldn't know." I scoffed. "But, I think, since I've already seen you--" I stood, leaving Julian's plate behind. 

"Goodbye." Julian huffed, getting to his feet.

"Wait!" I didn't. I made my way to the closest secret passages as fast as I could. I took one last look at the boy standing in the light...a boy so frustratingly handsome before I slipped into the walls.