Chapter 28

◌The Twin◌

We had taken longer then we should have to get to the theater. Before we could leave, father had to make sure the trio started packing Phantasma up and sent men to start packing our home up. We couldn't run the risk of people trying to find him and our family. I had no clue where we would move, but I knew it wouldn't be any good. Coney Island was my home.

I hopped out of the car after Gustave and my father, the theater loomed in front of us. Despite there being a performance scheduled to take place at this time, no one seemed to be here. Fear spiked in my stomach and I knew something awful was happening. It was probably the reason for the lack of people.

We rushed in, finding that the theater was empty like I had predicted. A woman's scream priced through the air. Panic coursed through me. Melodie. That was Melodie. I went to rush towards her scream, but my father grabbed me. "What are you doing? She's in trouble!"

"We need to be smart about this. If we barge in there, we will be sealing her fate." Gustave leaned heavily against his cane, worry creasing his brow. "I'll go right to the stage and distract whoever is in there with her. You two," Father placed a gloved hand on both of our shoulders. "Will use the passages behind the walls to get to Melodie without being seen."

"Passages?" I asked as father made his way to a shadowy corner of the entrance. We followed him.

"I didn't just build Phantasma when I got to this country." I wanted to know more. I wanted to know what he was talking about. Had he built this theater? Why? "We have to help your sister. Questions can come later." And with that, Gustave and I were shoved into a dark, secret passage.