Chapter 19

◌The Shadow◌

The attic was cold and quiet. It wrapped me up in its never-ending darkness. I felt as if I could stay up here forever. Just close my eyes and waste away to nothing. Up here, my worries were far out of reach. I wasn't a murderer or a monster. I was just an extension of the darkness.

I had no doubt Julian had told the police of me. They would come for me and I wouldn't put up a fight. I was a killer. I deserved to be locked up in some psych ward. It was all just a matter of waiting now.

"Melodie!" My name flittered up through the rafters. I didn't move. It was probably just my mind playing tricks on me. "Melodie!" There it goes again. "I know you can hear me!" I could. "Please! I just want to talk!" I didn't so much as move a muscle. My world slowly faded back into that cold, silent, never-ending darkness. Here I was safe. Here I could be nothing. No one. Just another shadow to add--a piano sounded. Softly at first, but it gradually grew and grew until it filled the air. Filled my senses.

My weak legs propelled me forward against my will. The melody grew louder with each step I took. I was back in the shadows of the theater. The piano's song slowly faded out. "I didn't think you would come." How had he known I was there? I hadn't made a sound. Had barely even breathed. He turned his blue eyes on me. We stared at each other, neither of us knowing what to say or do.

After what felt like an eternity, Julian turned back to the piano. The song he chose was one I recognized. It was the song he played the first time we had met on this stage. A haunting melody full of sadness and heartache. My legs gave out beneath me and I fell to my knees. I couldn't stop the sobs and tears that flowed out of me like some breaking dam.

This sorrow I felt was overwhelming. I felt as if it would swallow me whole. The music stopped and Julian was there in front of me, holding my face in his hands. My horrible, monstrous face. I yanked away from him, but he wasn't having that. Before I could stop him, I was bundled up in his arms. Safe. I was safe here. The darkness had offered me sanctuary but this was what I really needed.