Chapter 17

◌The Twin◌

De Chagny. This woman--this beautiful woman was a De Chagny! I grabbed her hand and quickly rushed her to my changing room. "You're a De Chagny?" She narrowed her green eyes.

"No need to shout. Yes, I am. My father is--"

"Raoul. Yes, I know." She nodded grimly. 

"So you too know of our partner's pasts."

"Yes." We stood in silence, recalling the tale of a young soprano, a Vicomte, and a Phantom. "What does he want to say to my mother?" Odette shrugged, sitting in my chair.

"He wouldn't tell me, nor have I read this letter." We both looked to said letter. "Do you think we should?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, do you think we should read it?" We stared into each other's eyes. I did want to read what the infamous Vicomte Raoul De Chagny had to say. Very much so. But I found myself shaking my head.

"No...your father obviously didn't want it read." She nodded in agreement. "I'm going to change. You can wait outside." She stood, going to leave. "Just keep quiet about the whole De Chagny thing. Folks here don't like your father so much."

"Yes, of course. And I'll be sure to keep my hand at the level of my eyes." My stomach dropped at the mention of my father's past--activity. Her face paled further than I thought it could go. "Sorry...bad choice of words." And she was out the door in a blink. The longer I stared at the door, the more I found I couldn't stop my growing laugher.

I changed quickly out of my costume and into my evening clothes before rushing out to find Odette still standing there, smiling at a passing group of children dressed as mini devils. I held my arm out for her to take, but all she did was eye it skeptically. I sighed. 

"There's no need to worry. I left my magical lasso at home." She let out a lovely little laugh that sent my stomach fluttering. I knew, in that single moment, I needed to know this girl.