Chapter 8

◌The Shadow◌

I had watched the young stagehand work for most of the day, but then I grew bored and went about trying to find something to eat. In one of the actors changing rooms, I found a whole basket of fruit and candies. So naturally, I stole them. And it was worth it. I don't think I had ever been that hungry in my life. The fruit had been sweet and juicy, just the way I liked it, and I saved most of the candies for later.

Later that evening, I watched this theater's production of 'Dearest Enemy', from up in one of the empty box seats, and gorged myself on candies. It had been a lovely little musical, though some of the leading acts needed a good tutor. My father sprang to mind and the candy in my other turned to ash. So, like any rational human being, I threw them out.

I waited in the attic, which I had claimed as my room, for everyone to leave the building so that I might look for better food. I swiftly moved through my secret passages, checking each area of the theater, before slipping into the dark theater. The only thing I could find was another fruit basket, but it was better than nothing. Just as I took a bite from a rudy red apple, the sound of the piano filling the empty theater. It was probably the stage boy again.

My legs moved with a mind of their own and I soon found myself back in the sea of red chairs. Not only was Julian's playing entrancing, but when he started to sing--mere words couldn't describe it. He would win out against the leading roles any day. I made my way to the stage, keeping sure to stay to the shadows. I listened to him sing for a few minutes before I spoke, "You're pressing too hard on the keys." He jumped up, startled. I made my way lazily around the ring of light.

"You're back." I bit into my apple, making it as loud and obnoxious as I could. 

"Well, of course. You need the help or you would sound like an elephant each time you played." Julian tried finding me in the shadows, but his eyes missed me.

"How do you expect me to get better if I can't see you?" I took another bite of my apple.

"That wouldn't be fun now would it?" Julian took a step closer to the darkness, still looking for me. It made me grit my teeth. "You're also flat," I said before finishing my apple off, tossing it into the light. Julian stared at the fruit before looking back to the shadows.

"Who are you?" I groaned.

"No one." Julian rolled his ocean blue eyes.

"You can't be no one." I huffed. What was with him and needing to know who I was?

"I'll be leaving now." I turned on my heel, but before I could rush down the stairs, Julian started playing again. I froze.

"Was that any better?" Slowly, I turned back to him.

"By a hair."