Emptiness.

Three days later and I've barely moved from Elijah's bed, legs crossed staring straight ahead. I've refused anything he's tried to offer me, barely noticing the hunger pains anymore.

They are gone, forever, I'm never going to hear or see them again, never going to hug them. I've lost the ability to tell my family how much I love them.

Guilt lances through me, I should've been there with them. We should have gone together as a family, but no I left them and I have to live with that forever.

I hear Elijah making noise in the next room and decide it's about time I move. I stand up, my vision feeling spinny, I close my eyes centring myself. I can only imagine it's because I'm dehydrated at this point.

I leave the room and wonder through the house quietly, feeling like I shouldn't make too much noise here. I see Elijah in the kitchen, stuff everywhere, he's inventorying everything.

He suggested we move on from this town, more of the dead have appeared. We hear their screams often through the night and even though we tried to reinforce everything, we feel it's not enough.

I pad bare foot across the kitchen and wrap my arms around Elijah, resting my head against his back, letting him concentrate. Another reason I have to be guilty, I should be helping with all this, but I've done nothing to assist in the pack up.

"Hey, Baby. It's good to see you up and about." Elijah turns in my arms and wraps his own around me. I close my eyes and accept the comfort it brings to me.

"It was time. I can't just sit there anymore. It's getting us no where." I sniffle but keep everything together, not wanting to cry again.

"I know, Babe. Did you want something to eat?" He lifts his hand and strokes his thumb across my cheek, I can't help but tilt my head into it.

"No, I'm okay. We should finish packing up. Thanks anyway though." Concern flickers across his handsome face but he's quick to hide it. I know he worries but I honestly don't think I could stomach anything even if I wanted to.

Elijah releases me from his embrace and explains the system he has put in place. I listen intently, not wanting to forget anything important.

By the end of the day everything is packed and we decide to leave early the next day to drive to Brisbane. Where we hope to find answers about his mother and pray that the city is still intact. But after what happened in Adelaide it is rather doubtful, Brisbane will be spared from the injustice.

I cook Elijah and I a small meal, not wanting to use up too many rations, mostly just the stuff that would not last for long. I force myself to eat everything on my plate, I've seen the movies and this may be my last home cooked meal in a long time. I could sense that Elijah was beyond proud that I had managed to eat something.

"I'll drive in the morning, and then you can take over about lunch time and drive in the afternoon." Elijah tells me the plan in the morning, I take notice then, how much of a natural leader he is.

It explains why he was picked to be a youth leader. It's almost hard to believe that I'm actually older then he is, only by two years, but still older. I feel like I should be the one taking responsibility here.

The lights shut off unexpected, along with the ceiling fan and the house falls into a deathly silence. My heart rate picks up at how sudden it was and my breathing begins shallow.

"I'll go check the power box." Elijah says with a sigh and I hear him get up, he turns the flashlight setting on his phone on. I stand up and head over to the window, as I notice it's way too dark, not even the street lights are on. I open the blinds and stare at the complete darkness before me.