Back Home Again

-- Author's Note: I started watching Station 19 and thought it would be fun to write a spin-off. My plan right now is to write story lines for both shows in this story (since it's just Mattie's diary and it's all the same universe). I want to explore Mattie more as a character and Station 19 gave me some ideas on how to do that. --

Dear diary,

I've been back in Seattle for about a week now. I have a few more months before med school starts and I'm trying to enjoy every moment of it. I started shadowing again at Grey Sloan and it's so nice to be back in my home away from home. I also got my paramedics license transferred from New York to Washington. In college I got trained as a paramedic and worked part time serving the city. I loved getting first hand experience treating patients and helping my community and can't imagine giving it up now that I'm back in Seattle.

It's not customary to have non-firefighters work as paramedics for the city, they typically work for private ambulance companies, but I'm luck enough to have grown up down the street from an SFD captain. Pruitt Herrera has been my neighbor most of my life. He often stepped up as a father figure for me after my dad died. He taught me how to change a tire, gave me grief about every boy I brought home, and always reminded me to change the batteries in my smoke alarms.

So when I asked him if he would be willing to have me on his team as a paramedic he was happy to oblige. I start my first shift tomorrow and I can't wait! Captain Herrera is so well respected it's an honor to work under him. It'll also be amazing to work with Andy! She used to babysit me when I was little and when I got older we would just hang out. She's always kind of been like an older sister to me so I'm excited to work with and learn from her. She said the rest of the team is great too so I'm hoping I get along with them as well as the Herreras. Plus Ben's been training to be a firefighter and starts at station 19 in a few weeks! It'll be nice to have another familiar face around. Anyway, I'm on call for 24 hours tomorrow so I'm gonna hit the hay.

-Mattie