bonus - graduation speeches

Ryder's Speech -- Salutatorian (2nd in class)

I'd first and foremost like to welcome everyone to this special event, as I'm humbly honored to be standing here in front of you right now. I know things haven't been easy for any of us, but being here tonight with your caps and gowns is a great reward, a reward that you've been working for for about twelve years now, a reward you've put stress and sweat into. Sure, there must've been moments where the straw broke your back or the bucket got too full, but our struggles and academic challenges are what brought us here today. We trudged through the mud and came out on the other side clean.

Now as we await the next stages of life, I'd like to bring an important point to the table.

I'd like to first off say that challenges make up our entire life, but the way you go about them defines who you are. All of us are fighters in our own ways, whether it's fighting for yourself, for others, or for yourself and others. I've definitely faced challenges, whether it  be academically or socially, and I will admit there's been times where I didn't foresee any good. There's been times where the dark consumed the light, the anger clouded the logic, the minimum outweighed the best. We all know a time like this, where we feel helpless and alone, broken and beaten, shriveled and insignificant.

But seeing you all here today in front me says otherwise. I see strong people, despite our differences, and we must put negative thoughts behind us as we enter this new chapter of our lives. We must forgive but never forget, to live and not hold any more grudges. We must embrace new challenges with a hard head and work through our hindrances no matter the fight. We can become the best version of ourselves if we stand strong in equity and peace.

We must speak for those who do not have a voice and fight for those who physically can't. We stand together in life, not estranged, and we shouldn't distance ourselves from doing the right thing. We preach life etiquette and that everyone is equal, but the only way to ensure that is to know where your priorities lie, to understand what you're fighting for.

The most important thing to note is that we are strong. We may be young but we know left from right, up from down, wrong from right. We are smarter than many may think, stronger than we look, more passionate about life goals and friendships. The best thing for you to do is to trust yourself, love yourself, and fight for yourself.

I'd like to close this speech with a simple note that can go a long way.

Believe in yourself or no one else will. The young are often underestimated.

Thank you.

_________________________

Peter's Speech -- Valedictorian (1st in class)

Hi everyone, my name is Peter Parker and I'm your official valedictorian. The question as to how I got here is something I often wonder too. But the point is is that we're here to graduate, not listen to what appears to sound like a stand up comedy act, so I'll get right to it.

Something that I truly believe in is that a hero's heart is true of compassion and empathy, and that courage begins with trusting oneself. The trust we have in ourselves is the very thing keeping us alive and well here today. If we cannot see the beautiful things we're made up of, then we must look harder, because everyone, even the bad guys, have good in them. It may take a long time to find it, but they're there.

The dependence on ourselves can be quite astounding at times, because we fight our internal battles and wage our thoughtless wars without a second thought, without wanting to consult another. We think we're burdening others and we believe it's best to fight it alone, and sometimes that's for the best. But in most times it's not.

Throughout my four years of high school I have learned the importance of friendship, and what it truly means to me. Friendship shows us who we really are. Are you the compassionate friend? The funny one? The ambitious one? All of the above? Friendship is the stable relationship in all of the chaos reigning around us, the thing that keeps us grounded in times of darkness, the light at the end of the tunnel. My friends have done more for me than I could ever ask for, but the most important thing they've taught me is to love and trust myself. After all, it is the key to courage.

It's important that we recognize what our priorities are in life, whether it be a specific person, a people, an event, an occupation, and more. We need to remember that we can't go through life all alone, and that keeping your people by your side is an important thing to obtain. We could blink and those people can be gone. We could look away for just a moment and they're no where to be seen. I express a deep, deep message to never let them go, not even for a moment.

Sure, we're going to meet new people and cherish them as well, but we can't forget our roots. We must stay grounded with the people who will kneel beside you. A true friendship will never perish at the sight of a challenge.

I guess the moral of this speech is to not let your people go, to cherish them while they're here with you, and that friendship is one of the most important things in life to keep you grounded and to keep you going.

And on that note, I conclude my speech with a quick reminder to stay hydrated and to look after your friends and family. Thank you!

_____________________

Hopefully this counts as an update, but in the meantime: stand alongside our black brothers and sisters who need us right now. Donate, spread the word, do whatever you can to contribute.

As a white person, it felt like I couldn't do anything, and I'm sure some of you feel the same, but YOU CAN! Speak for those only if they can't speak for themselves, protect those in danger, preach what you feel is right -- what you know is right.