𝐀 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 - 𝐏𝐭. 𝟐

'I know you love my sister. I don't want to come in between. She may be engaged but you will still have a chance if you remain as a bachelor than if you're married to me. Apologies for the trouble I have undoubtedly caused, I didn't mean to humiliate you or your family.

-Y/n L/n'

Looking over the short, succinct note, you folded the creamy white paper and inserted it in the envelope with Orien Ciro's address neatly written on the side.

Truth be told, even if he wasn't affectionate with you, he had been a good husband. No rumors of cheating ever surfaced in the length of your decade long marriage whilst your brother-in-law was a regular fixture in the columns of gossip magazines, his latest conquests the topic of conversation among bored wealthy society ladies. Your sister retaliated with having affairs of her own.

If Orien truly loved her, even after marrying you, and went so far as to kill you, to get you out of the way of his love, who were you to stop him from pursuing her again? It was better now that you had stepped out of the way, saving your life by the skin of your teeth. It was relieving.

~

Hushed whispers and knowing smiles passed among the crowd of exceptionally dressed people, the so-called cream of the crop. Orchestral music soared as couples danced on one side, multicolored dresses flying in the air in rhythm with the song, neatly uniformed staff passed around drinks and other light refreshments as people laughed and conversed, forming alliances, reconnecting with old friends.

This was the first time you had stepped out of your mansion, after the whole engagement fiasco, easily sporting a blank face as you stood by one side of the ballroom, sipping a flute of apple juice. You watched Irin dancing gracefully with her fiance, lightly shaking your head for what was to come.

You had debated for a long time on whether to warn her about her fiance's ways, but to be honest, almost every wife-to-be of a rich man knew to expect infidelity. It was the way of life. And it didn't seem like it would matter much since Irin was already won over by the many expensive gifts and holidays lavished upon her by the charming man.

You continued staring at nothing in particular, boredom coursing, clouding your mind when you were approached by the one man you didn't wish to see.

"It's a beautiful evening, miss Y/n. Are you enjoying yourself?"

Smooth voice, honeyed words. Orien was dressed in a simple black tuxedo, his golden hair gelled back, handsome face glowing. His piercing gaze sent a chill down your spine, causing you to stiffen up almost instinctively.

"Yes. What about you?", you replied perfunctorily.

The man ran his violet eyes across the room, giving a little shrug coupled with a sharp smile.

"It's rather boring, I'd say."

You weren't surprised by his response. Parties like these were a dime a dozen for the wealthy. Orien effortlessly epitomized the elegant boredom of the rich.

You didn't bother to continue the conversation, pointedly ignoring the man while maintaining your stoic look.

You felt his eyes on you, blatantly observing you for a solid minute. It must have been surprising to see your shift in attitude. Before all this, you were head over heels for the man. It was clear as day to everyone.

Orien sighed softly, a lingering smile on his face.

"It's rather crowded here, don't you think? Will you go on a walk with me to the garden, miss Y/n?"

You tensed inside, debating with yourself as your eyes flew around the room to land on your father's laughing figure, busy conversing and joking with his friends.