Prelude

20 years earlier

The man opened his eyes only to see darkness. He tried to get up but was deeply wounded. As he realised what his state was, a voice came from the dark.

« If I were you, I wouldn't move. »

The man turned to the voice. Despite the cave not being well lit, he still saw a figure of an old man.

« Who... » he started. « Who are you? »

He was still weak and had trouble talking. The old man came closer and lightly pushed his shoulder to make him lie down. The man's vision started to fade and he fainted again.

A few hours, or maybe days, it was hard to judge, passed. The man opened his eyes again to find his body completely healed.

How? This was such a big wound! I should have died!

The man looked at where his wound was supposed to be. Instead, only a huge scar appeared. He looked around him, trying to figure out what had happened. Everywhere he looked, only odd scientific equipment met his eyes. Syringes, knives and what looked like, if not torture instruments, at least things used to open people's body. Jars full of unknown liquids and objects were scattered all around the place. And at the centre of the cave, because it was definitely a cave, stood a table used -no doubt about it- for experiments on animals and even humans, judging by the straps. It was not a pleasant place. 

Suddenly, all of the man's memories came back. His name was Ambrose Aleron. He was a White Dragon Knight and he died. Or at least everyone thought he did, including himself. But he did not. The man behind the voice most likely saved him. He thought back to his life as a White Dragon Knight. How he was laughed at by his comrades because he naively told them of his dream to one day find out how to enhance all humans so they would not have to fear magical creatures anymore. «How dumb can you be?» said one of them, « it is not possible to do that! the weak like you will always be weak!». But Ambrose was not weak. But sometimes, hiding your strength is the best move in front of enemies. And they were his enemies. They would pay and the price would be high. 

The old man in the cave suddenly appeared in Ambrose's vision and smiled, though it was not a kind smile. It was forced. It had a sort of... bestiality in it.

« I know who you are, what you did, and what you want deep down » said the old man. « And I can help you ».

An evil smile stretched on the old man's mouth. Not a reassuring smile. But it did not matter to the man. He would conduct his researches and retaliate against his former knight « friends », and nothing would stop him.