Chapter 1

She woke up in a cave. Nothing new here. She had spent her whole life in that cave. She had never left it in nineteen years. She was born in it and would probably die in it. 

She turned her head to the left. Yep, nothing new here. Still the same equipment her father and the old Viktor used. She sighed and tried to get up. Her wounds from the last experiment still hurt. She grinned. She eventually sat down on the small camp bed that she was sleeping on. And she stayed still. She was used to waiting. 

An hour passed, or maybe more. It was hard to estimate the time when you are locked in a cave, with no sun to indicate the passing of time. Viktor was the first to appear on the small staircase. She could have left using them if she wanted. But it never crossed her mind. After all, this cave was where she had always lived. Why would she leave? Viktor looked at her and grinned. He had never been a friendly man, and she had never seen him smile other than when experiments succeeded. Her father followed. 

« Good morning father. » she said. 

He glanced at her, nodded as to say hello, and immediately stared at her right arm. 

« How is your arm? Does it still hurt? » he said. When she nodded and showed her arm, he came closer and looked at it more closely. 

« I see... » he muttered. « Viktor, I think we need to reconnect her nerves again. »

Viktor barely looked at the girl and joined Ambrose. 

« I'll go fetch the tools and get started. You, continue working on the next step. I don't like this black strand of hair in the middle of all this white. She has to be perfect, you hear me? »

Ambrose nodded and took a look at his daughter. She looked like her mother, at the exception of the white hair and of her pale left eye, result of a failed experiment. If you did not look at all the scars covering her body, she was good looking. He took her black strand of hair in his hand. It was exactly like her mother's. But it needed to be gone. Viktor was right, she needed to be perfect. Images of his dying wife came back to him and he rejected them. He did not want to live this memory again. 

As Viktor finally arrived with the tools, Ambrose moved out of his way and started to work on his part. 

Hestia closed her eyes, furrowed her brows, expecting the moment where the old man would open her arm again, and after a never-ending minute, Viktor started his work. 

This was her everyday life.