Chapter 8

The boy had just left his dorm to go into the forest he was charged to protect when he saw a girl collapse right at the entrance of it. He ran towards her to find her unconscious. He knelt next to her, took her into his arms and brought her to the infirmary. 

Noise. There was noise around her. It wasn't usual. Her hand twitched as she was regaining consciousness. Her eyes were still closed but she could feel a comfortable bed. 

« She moved! » said an unknown voice. 

She slowly opened her eyes, rapidly closing them again because of all the light, her brows furrowing as she did. 

« Professor! She is waking up! ». The same voice. More noise. 

She opened her eyes again, trying to understand what was happening. Up until this point in her life, she had only woken up in two places: her father's cave and that room in the Ministry. So this was way too unusual. She was in a sunny, nice looking yet simple room. She tried to get up but her body was still too weak so she collapsed in the bed. 

« Go easy! You have used a lot of your energy, now you need to rest. » 

It was a nice, calm voice. She looked at the man who had talked. He had golden hair and a worried look. Beautiful. Another man joined the blond one, looking worried as well. 

« How are you feeling? ». The second man had talked. He looked older, yet still young. Maybe around his thirties? He had grey hair though. 

- Where...? (It was the only thing she could articulate)

- Do not worry, you are safe here. Leslie brought you here. We are currently in Gedonelune Royal Magic Academy. I am professor Loran Merkulova, and the young man here is Alfonse. He helped me take care of you.  

- Royal... Magic... Academy? 

- Yes (he smiled). Leslie, one of our students, saw you collapse at the edge of the forest and brought you here so we could heal you. If you do not mind me asking, why were you running like this? If we did not find you, you could have died! 

She stayed silent, adverting her gaze from the two men. She resisted the urge the cry as she spoke. 

- They hurt me (a single tear streamed down her cheek). 

The professor's eyes widened as he looked at the girl. 

- Who hurt you? 

She shook her head, not wanting to talk about it. Understanding she wouldn't say more, he changed the subject. 

- Do you have anywhere to return to? Any family? 

She shook her head negatively. 

- I see... (he turned to Alfonse) Can you watch over her? 

As the blond man nodded, the professor left the room. Once the grey-haired man was out, the boy turned his attention to Hestia, still in her bed, and he smiled at her. 

- You are safe now. We won't let anyone hurt you here. Trust me. 

She smiled a bit and lost consciousness again.