Five

Rebecca had the flu. It wasn't the best way to start of the week that marked exactly one month until her wedding, but it wasn't like she could control it. She had decided it was too late to get the flu shot so she settled for Noah's delicious chicken soup, tonnes of herbal tea and shots of honey here and there to keep her throat from burning. It was eight in the morning and Noah was off at work again. He had left an hour prior Rebecca's awakening and now she was home alone. Her mother had told her to do nothing until she was feeling more rested and energetic so Rebecca decided today would be her stress free day. She rang Luke at 8:37 in the morning.

"Hello?" she heard the low, groggy voice.
"Luke? It's Rebecca."
"Oh hey. Are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine. Well actually I'm not fine. You see I have the flu and I don't think we can hang out today."

There was a silent pause for a few seconds and Rebecca heard Luke groan. "You woke me up at eight in the morning to tell me we couldn't hang out?"
"Um, yeah."
"Becc you could've just texted or something."
"I know, I know but you know how I like to say it. Texting is for the insecure."
"I see. Well I don't care if you're sick, I'm going to come over... if that's okay with you."

Rebecca frowned. She really didn't know if it was okay with her. One side of her told her why not? They could be friends again despite what she had told Luke when they broke up. Another side of her told her no because what if Noah took their time together the wrong way?
"It sounds great," she croaked and hung up right away.

Rebecca didn't know what was going on with her. Sometimes she found herself thinking about her relationship with Luke that ended just short of four years ago. She remembered things so vividly like their awkward first date at Jean's Café just at the corner of their schools' street. She remembered their awkward first kiss before Rocco's soccer game. Luke had snuck his lips onto hers just briefly before Rocco could catch the two lip locking. After that, they snuck kisses around like a fat man sneaking doughnuts into his diet. Rebecca even remembered their awkward first time. Of course it was awkward for those who asked her about it but it was beautiful. Rebecca couldn't have imagined that experience with anyone else because past the awkwardness there was love and she knew it well and not one bone in her body regretted it.

She kept a journal that was hidden in her closet. Rebecca didn't know why she kept it; it was just there and the interest of opening it never appeared until she saw Luke at her engagement party a few weeks ago. The journal had everything. Notes that Luke snook into her bag were shoved in between the pages of the purple journal. Lipstick stains were pressed onto some pages on the days Luke kissed her when she wore red lipstick. Scribbled writing for when Rebecca and Luke fought about stupid things like movie preferences and what to eat for dinner. Lovely cursive writing for when Luke bought her red roses to make her happy when he was at band practice instead of watching her games. Everything was in Rebecca's purple journal and she held it in her hand for the first time in years. Before she could open it, the buzzer went off of her penthouse suit and she walked slowly to the door to open it. To her surprise, it was Noah's mother, Elise.

"Elise," Rebecca croaked.
"Oh Rebecca you look horrible! Did Noah really not skip work to be with you?" Elise's hands cupped Rebecca's face.
"I'm fine. A friend of mine is going to take care of me," Rebecca said. Her cheeks warmed (if even possible at her high temperature) when she thought of Luke dabbing a cold towel onto her forehead as they laid in bed together. No, no no. She couldn't think this way.
"You sure? You can always call me if anything happens," Elise said.
"I'm sure. I'll call you later to ensure my status," Rebecca said. Elise sighed before kissing Rebecca's forehead and walking toward the elevator and went home. Rebecca closed the door and went back into her room, dragging her purple bunny slippers across the hardwood floors.