Twelve

Luke was late to meet Rebecca at the bar. He wasn't too late but it was funny to see him run with his hair down and wet as he wore the regular black ripped skinny jeans and a singlet and sit right next to Rebecca. He gave her a big smile.

"Sorry I'm late. The guys wanted to go swimming," he said, kissing her cheek. Luke watched her cheeks flush but focused on her eyes. "Your eyes are red, are you okay?"

"Something... happened today," Rebecca said.

"Is that something good?"

The bartender caught the two of them and shot them both a smile. "What can I get you?" he asked, with a smirk on his face.

"A Coopers," Luke told the bartender, he nodded and looked up at Rebecca and she smiled.

"Make that two," she said. Luke raised his eyebrows as Rebecca laughed.

"I might be married in two weeks so cut me some slack," she said. Luke put his hands up in surrender and chuckled.
"Alright, alright I'm sorry," he said.
"You should be."

Once the bartender left to the other side, Rebecca cleared her throat and went to fondle with her engagement ring but it wasn't on her finger. It was a habit Luke found Rebecca always doing.

"Lost your ring?" Luke asked, pushing his damp hair with his hand.
"No," Rebecca said, "Actually I took it off."
"Hm? Why?"
"Because today I cried with being overwhelmed and I talked to Sonia who made me cry a little bit more."
"Sonia's the half-asian one right?"

Rebecca snorted a laugh. "Yes Luke," she said.

"Oh she's a babe," Luke letting a playful smirk dance on his lips.

"Shut up."
"Sorry, you're much hotter."
"Luke!"
"I'm sorry, I don't like lying. Anyway, what happened today?"
"This can't happen anymore."
"What can't?"
"This."

Rebecca circled her hand between the two of them indicating whatever she meant by 'this' she meant the two of them. She meant all of the things that they had between them since the day they rekindled had to stop. The both of them had to forget about it.

"I see," Luke said slowly, quietly thanking the bartender who handed the two of them their beers and took a sip.

"It'll help my decision," Rebecca said, indicating she wasn't exactly done with Luke. As the wedding neared, he got more aggravated.

"Mhmm," Luke said, taking another gulp of his beer. He had a third of it left in a span of two minutes.

"You're being weird."
"It's not like I can help it right? Rebecca I love you, and it hurts to see you with another man but it's all I can do. I can't force you to love me back or some stupid shit like that."

Luke sighed and shook his head, taking the rest of his beer in one gulp and swallowing it. Rebecca had only a third missing from her glass.

"I'm sorry," he said, "It wasn't supposed to come out that way-"
"I love you too."

Luke hoped it wasn't the alcohol that was talking because he really liked those words coming out of her mouth and saying them to him and not Noah. He had never been drinking with Rebecca but she didn't seem like a lightweight. Luke wasn't a lightweight. He could name multiple times where he'd drink his body weight in alcohol.

"Then drop the wedding," he said.

"Why are you being so mean now? You said you'd wait," Rebecca frowned.

Now he was scared. Luke was brusque with his words because he was afraid he'd snap. His temper was short and that meant his patient was just as short.