Seven

Luke scrunched up his nose at the sight of the doctor shoving stick device up Indiana's private parts to check on her baby. Even if he had slept with hundreds of girls, the thought of something being in a place that it wasn't supposed to be, made goosebumps appear on his skin.

"So that's the heart right there," the doctor said. Luke bit his lip at the sight of the moving little... thing. He had trouble processing the fact that a human was going to pop out of Indiana in nine months. He also had trouble knowing who the father was. Indiana hadn't dared to speak about that. In fact, Indie spoke about anything but the father of her baby.

"Everything seems to be in order," the doctor said. "Are you still taking the pre-natal vitamins?" Indiana nodded.
"Good- ah there's the head. It's right where it needs to be," the doctor said.
"Wow," Indie chuckled. She looked up at Luke who remained emotionless. He was emotionless about all of it: the baby, Indie's sneaking off, her late 'work' hours. He was emotionless because he didn't know how he was supposed to feel so he decided not to feel at all.
"So is he...?" the doctor asked, her voice trailing off. Indie laughed, "no."
"He's my best friend," she said.
"Oh, is the father around?"
"Mhmm."

Luke kept his hands in his pockets as the two talked, keeping silent. If the father was around, why wasn't he here? Why was Luke here? Not that he minded because it was Indie but he wanted this child to have the benefit of having two parents.

"And we're done." The doctor pulled the weird instrument out and took off the plastic that covered it. Then she put it away and took off her gloves and glasses. She scooted her chair toward the desk and Luke helped Indie sit up. She was a few months into her pregnancy and Luke had to admit, she still looked beautiful.

"Okay we'll schedule your next appointment out front. So I'll meet you guys there," the doctor said, opening up the door. Indiana walked out without saying anything and that was Luke's turn to speak.
"Thank you," he said quietly before the door shut behind him.

In the car, Indiana talked about the night her baby was conceived. She told Luke it was a night she told him she would be home late because of work.
"You've said it too many times for me to know," Luke shook his head as he turned onto the main road.
"Anyway," Indiana said, "His name is Kyle and he's... he's my boss."
"Oh fuck."

There was a silent pause between the two of them. "You better not be doing that Fifty Shades shit Indie," Luke said quietly. It sounded like a joke but his face told different. Luke was emotionless, again.
"I'm not. He loves me," Indie said.
"The hell he does. Why did I come to the ultrasound if the bastard loves you?"
"He had work!"
"That seems to be your excuse for everything."
"Why are you being so rude? Is it because of what I said about Rebecca at Mike's?"

Luke's grip on the steering wheel tightened at the mention of Michael's birthday party that happened just two days ago. He didn't want to think about how foolish he was to run after Rebecca. They were not dating and for a second Luke forgot because everything was so happy; he was so happy... with her.

"No," Luke said, "This is about the father of your child not being able to care for you."
"He cares for me Luke! How could you make assumptions when you've never met him?"
"How can you make assumptions about Rebecca?"

Luke shut his eyes. That wasn't supposed to be said but it was in his head, eating him alive if he didn't. Luke heard Indiana sigh and shake her head.
"It was in the heat of the moment, I'm sorry," Indiana said.
"Yeah well the next time you call someone a psychotic bitch, really think about it," Luke scowled.

He turned toward their home but Indiana told him to turn the other way. "Why?" Luke asked, clearly annoyed.
"I'm meeting Kyle at the café. We're going to be finalising my move."
"Your move?"
"I'm moving in with him."
"No you're not."
"You don't control me Lucas."
"He's your fucking boss Indie! He got you pregnant and he's going to break you. He will get bored of you and kick you out."
"How dare you say that. You know just because you got your heart broken doesn't mean I'll get mine."