A Sodapop Curtis Short Story Pt.4

Olivia's pov

Soda offered to take us on a walk of the town, and that's exactly what we did. Ellie never let go of his hand once. She really likes him, especially when he bought her ice cream. After that, he's been showing up at The Dingo after he's done working and I am, and he's just been taking us places. Hanging out with him has been so amazing. I never thought someone could love Ellie more than me, but I think I've doubted myself.

We've been going to random kid-friendly places for about 2 weeks now, just us three. I don't really think of them as dates and I don't know if he does either. We've gone to the park more times than I can count but as long as Ellie's happy, then I'm happy. Soda said he wanted us to meet the gang tonight. I'm a little nervous about how they'd react to Ellie, but I know that he'd never do anything if it wasn't safe.

"Baby, let's get ready to go okay?" I said, opening Eleanor's closet so she could pick an outfit. She chose a red long sleeve top, and a cute pair of overalls to go over it. I put her hair into two braids then told her to wait in the kitchen as I went to my room to get ready.

I changed into a white top and red flannel with a pair of jeans and left my hair down. I walked out of my room to hear a knock at the door.

"It's open," I hollered, knowing that it was Soda. When he opened the door, Ellie's face instantly lit-up.

"Sodi-pop!" she squealed, running into his arms.

"Hey princess." He smiled, calling her by his nickname he gave to her at the start.

"Ready?" he asked looking at me.

"Let's go." We walked down the steps and he stopped in front of a truck.

"It's a little far to walk so I thought I'd drive you guys. I got a set in the back for Eleanor." He opened the side door of the truck to reveal a cute little pink booster seat. I was in awe.

"Awe Soda, you didn't have to do that."

"I didn't have to, but I wanted to." He picked her up and buckled her in, then double-checked to make sure she was buckled uptight.

"She's all buckled up. After you malady." he bowed, opening the passenger side door for me.

"Why thank you," I said, hopping in the front seat. It was a pretty old truck, but it certainly wasn't a dump. It was very clean on the inside. He jumped in the driver's side and turned the key, keeping the drive very smooth. He turned on the radio and soft music played.

After about 10 minutes the truck came to a stop before a little fence. In that little fence stood a small white house that only looked to be a bit bigger than mine.

"We're here." Soda put the truck in park before getting out and opening my door for me, then attending to Ellie's seat buckle, taking her out of the truck.

"Mommy that was fun!" she cheered, holding onto my leg. Soda opened the little gate and we walked up to the door. I could hear people inside form all the way out here. This oughta be interesting.

Soda swung the door open and we walked right into a living room filled with guys. They were spread out from the sofa to the kitchen table. All heads turned to me as Eleanor hid behind my leg.

"Guys," he cleared his throat. "This is Olivia and her daughter Eleanor." A taller, board man stood up from a chair to greet us first.

"Hey Olivia, I'm Darry, Soda's older brother." He grinned.

"Good to meet you Darry." I smiled. He went and sat back down and Soda started pointing everyone out to me.

"That's Ponyboy Curtis, my kid-brother.-"

"Hey c'mon Soda, I'm 18 now." The smallest guy whined.

"Ehh, still kid-brother to me." he laughed before continuing.

"That one there is my best buddy Steve, then there's Two-bit, Johnny Cade, and Dallas Winston." All the guys waved to me. We walked in more and Eleanor was still clinging to my leg.

"Hey, it's okay baby." I knelt down and gave her a reassuring hug. Ponyboy knelt down too across from me.

"Hello Eleanor, I'm Ponyboy." She shyly walked up to him.

"You have such a pretty name," he told her.

"Hi Ponyboy." she waved, then rushed over to Soda's arms.

"Wow Soda, she really likes you." Ponyboy stood from the floor.

"I guess so." He grinned at her before we all sat down, Ellie hiding her face in Soda's neck for the first few minutes.

"You know, Sodapop talks very highly of you Olivia," Steve said, kicking back in the chair next to the sofa.

"Is that so?" I cocked an eyebrow and glanced over at Soda who was beat red.

"C'mon Steve, I can't tell you guys anything," he whined.

I spent about an hour getting to know Soda's outfit. Somewhere in the mix of things Ellie got off of Soda and went to Ponyboy. He was also really good with her. We all definitely shared a few laughs with Two-bit cracking jokes most of the time. Soda then checked the time.

"We'd better go now, Olivia." He stood up.

"Go where?" I asked him.

"Well, I want to take you to the Nightly Double tonight, just you and me, that is, if you're comfortable leaving Eleanor here with the guys." I looked towards Eleanor and she got off of Pony's lap and came to me.

"Ellie, honey, would it be okay if you stayed here for a bit while Soda and I went out?" I was nervous for her answer but she then said,

"That's fine mommy. You should have a fun time." She hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"I love you, baby."

"I wove you too mommy." She then moved to Soda.

"Bye-bye Sodi-pop." He leaned down to hug her. "Bye princess." she ran back over and climbed onto Ponyboy's lap.

"She likes you too Pony," I said before we walked out the door and into the truck.