chapter two

West Allen High School was bigger than I had originally thought. It could probably hold some 2000 students, which did a little more than intimidate me. Although today was the first day for everyone, most of the other juniors had come here for the two previous years, and this was to be their third. Immediately, I knew I wouldn't fit in. At least not right away. I looked down at my schedule, hoping it would help. Instead, it just confused me further. Needing help, but not wanting to ask for it, I scanned the outside of the school for any teachers. But there were none. I did, however, see a brown haired girl with a face chock-full of freckles bouncing over towards me.

"You must be new!" She exclaimed after seeing the bewildered look on my face. "I'm Jennifer. What's your name?" She extended her hand, and I shook it reluctantly.

"Katherine. But, uh, you can call me Katie. I go by Katie."

"Ah, well, nice to meet you Katie! The schedules are a bit daunting at first glance, so I'd be willing to help show you around if you need it!" This girl was starting to get on my nerves, but it didn't look like anybody else was willing to help me.

"Sure," I forced a smile. Jennifer, looking genuinely happy, led me into the school. It was even more overwhelming on the inside than it was on the outside. Jennifer stuck with me the entire day, guiding me from class to class. Thankfully, she wasn't in my seventh block class, but she still directed me to the classroom, which was polite on her part. I stood outside the door and took a deep breath.

Drama class. I had been looking forward to it all day. Theatre was my only passion, it was the one place where I could be myself. I opened the door and entered the classroom, only to see my teacher and classmates sitting in a circle on the floor.

"Welcome to DRAMA!" My teacher announced, well, dramatically. A couple kids laughed. "Please, take a seat with us!" She gestured to an open space between two boys, and later on I learned that their names were Josh and Andrew.

"Today, we are going to start off with a little icebreaker," the drama teacher began. "We are going to go around the circle, and when it gets to you I want you to tell us your name and one thing you like. I'll start." She stood up. "My name is Mrs. Kramer and I like acting." She sat back down after being applauded, and it went on to the next student.

"My name is Mariah and I like Calvin Klein," she declared. The introductions made their way around the circle before coming to me. My heart stopped in my throat, but I wasn't nervous. Drama classes were my safe place. Slowly, I stood.

"My name is Katherine, but you guys can call me Katie. And I like The Beatles," I said, pointing to my shirt. Sitting down, I got several whoops and cheers. It felt nice to be well received. The circle of introductions continued, until the very end, someone caught my attention. The most beautiful boy I had ever seen stood up to introduce himself. He had gorgeous blonde hair, blue eyes that reminded me of the ocean, and a radiant smile.

"I'm Jonathan," he said with a voice that made my skin crawl with delight. "And I like..." He pondered for a moment, until a smirk slowly spread across his face. "I like girls," he announced. Upon sitting back down, his friends howled and ruffled his perfect hair. Jonathan laughed, a sound that warmed my heart. Not wanting to stare, I quickly looked down, but I knew that it was too late. I liked him.