chapter six

"Oh my gosh, you'll never guess what I did this weekend!" Jennifer cried as soon as she saw me. It was Monday, so unfortunately I was back at school. The only thing I was looking forward to was seeing Jon.

"What did you do, Jen?" I asked politely. Jennifer was really the only friend I had made at school, and I didn't really want to push her away just yet. She wasn't really my type, though, she was so... chatty.

"I went to the beach and while I was there I met the absolute CUTEST boy ever-" I stopped listening for a moment at that part. No one could be cuter than Jon. "And he gave me his number and we talked on the phone last night for like five hours and now I think we're dating!! Isn't that exciting?!" Jennifer finished.

"Yeah, yeah, that's cool," I told her.

"What did you do this weekend?" She asked. I didn't confide in her enough to tell her too much about Jon, so I gave her the most vague answer I could think of.

"Nothing much, but I did go to the set of a tv show with a friend. He landed me a guest role, and I'm really grateful."

"Oh, that's so cool! That just made my weekend sound so lame. Anyways, tell me about this boyyyyy," she drew the last word out extra long, and I could tell that she suspected it was something more.

"We're just friends, don't worry about it," I said. Jen opened her mouth to say something, but then the bell rang and we dashed inside to our first class of the day.

•••

I dropped my tray on the table and slid into an empty bench seat next to Jennifer. The cafeteria was crowded and noisy, and I was glad that our normal table was tucked away in a corner.

"I hate pre-calc so much," I sighed.

"Oh, don't even get me started on that," Jennifer agreed. I munched on my fries for a couple of minutes, thankful for the silence, when Jennifer nudged me.

"Is it that Jonathan boy?" She asked.

"Huh?!" I exclaimed, surprised.

"I meant, is your 'friend' that boy named Jonathan. You know, the one with the good-looking hair." Jessica raised her hand to point and I slapped it away.

"It's not polite to point!" I hissed. "And why would you think that it's Jonathan anyways?"

Jen giggled. "Because he's been staring at you for the last several minutes, dummy." Her smile quickly turned to a frown. "Don't tell me that you haven't noticed that!"

In fact, I hadn't. I looked over at Jonathan, and sure enough, he was looking right back at me. I smiled a small smile and waved, and he waved back. Thinking that was it, I turned towards Jen, but her eyes were wide and she kept poking me.

"What is it, Jen?" I asked, annoyed. The least she could do was say something. No words came out of her mouth (for once), but she pointed behind me. I turned around and looked up, only to see Jonathan smiling down at me.

"May I join you?" He asked.

"Uh- of course!" I stammered. I slid down the bench to provide Jon some room, and when he sat down he was still smiling. He sat down next to me, and I mean right next to me. If I wanted to, I could scoot less than half an inch towards him and we'd be touching. But I didn't want to impose.

"Jon," I said, breaking the silence. "This is Jennifer. Jen, this is Jonathan."

"Hey," Jen greeted. She seemed stunned, probably by his beauty, and this was the most quiet that she had ever been in my week of knowing her.

"Nice to meet you," Jon smiled at Jen. However, it didn't seem like the same smile he always gave me. In a way, our smiles were a bit more... intimate.

"Oh, Katie, I almost forgot," he said, reaching into his bag. I hadn't even noticed that he had a bag with him. Jon pulled out a somewhat voluminous stack of papers and handed it to me.

"This week's script?" I asked. Jon nodded.

"Oh, and check it out," he said, reaching across me and opening the script to the cast page. "There's you." Jon pointed you my name, and I looked beside it to find out who the character was.

"Lieutenant Shelby McIntyre," I announced. "Ooh, I'm an officer!" Jon laughed.

"Technically, you're above me, but we're not gonna-"

"So I get to boss you around?!" I asked enthusiastically.

"Dream on, princess." He winked at me and I could've sworn that my heart melted.

"That's a huge script," I said, suddenly feeling a bit overwhelmed.

"Well, Katie, I'm more than willing to go over lines with you if you'd want to rehearse with me," Jon offered.

"Oh, I'd love that! Do you want to come over after school?"

"Of course!" Jonathan replied. Just then, the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. I sighed. "What's your next class?" He asked.

"Biology with Mr. Myers in room C210," I groaned. Biology was the absolute worst.

"May I escort you?" Jonathan stood up and held out his hand. I took it gently, and he helped me up from the table.

"I'll see ya, okay?" Jen walked away, and I was grateful that she was giving Jon and I some time alone. If you considered a school cafeteria busy with bustling students alone.

"Thanks again for letting me on your show," I said.

"Like I said, you're super talented. Besides..." Jonathan trailed off and looked me in the eyes. I stared into his, and if I looked long enough I could probably find his soul. "I'd do anything for you," he finished.

Suddenly, Jon appeared rather inviting. I wanted to lean forward and kiss him. I leaned towards him ever so slightly, and he did the same. We were so close, and as I closed my eyes I knew that what was about to happen would change my life forever. I could feel his minty cool breath on my face, and-

WHAM!

A student had walked into me from behind, knocking me into Jonathan's steady arms.

"You okay, Katie?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I replied, still clinging to his lean frame.

"I'd better get you to class before anything else happens," he said. Jon released me from his embrace, but he grabbed my hand and entwined my fingers in his. I looked down at our hands and then up at him, confused.

"So you don't get lost," Jon's eyes gleamed and I gently squeezed his hand. He smiled.

When we reached my class, he squeezed my hand rather firmly and then planted a gentle kiss on the crown of my head.

"See you in an hour," I said lovingly. Jon must've noticed, because he winked at me before heading in the other direction.

Alone with my thoughts, I turned reluctantly toward my classroom. If only Jon was in biology with me. Then it would be so much better.