chapter nine

I hurried outside, eager to get to school, when I spotted a familiar car parked along the curb.

"Jon?" I asked, walking over to his car.

He stepped out of it and walked towards me gracefully as I bounded over to him. He wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him back. We stayed in each other's arms for a while, until I sighed of happiness and Jon pulled away.

"We have to get to school," he said, leading me to the passenger side of his car and opening the door for me. After I was in, he climbed in the car as well and started it up.

Before he started driving, though, he pulled me towards him and kissed my lips softly. The kiss was shorter than I would've liked, but I knew that we were running out of time. Jon held my hand as he drove us to school, and for the first time in a while, I felt like I belonged.

•••

In drama, Jon and I sat on the far side of the classroom, away from everyone else. As Mrs. Kramer talked to the class, Jon would play with my hair or kiss my cheek softly or hold my hand. I tried to stay alert and connected to the real world, but Mrs. Kramer's voice was so soothing and Jon's touch was so soft...

"Katie did you hear that?" Jon whispered in my ear.

"No, what was it??" I whispered back, returning to reality.

"Mrs. Kramer said that the school is hosting a dance next month."

"Ooh fun!" Jon looked me in the eyes and stuck out his bottom lip.

"Will you be my date to the dance?" He asked. His big blue puppy dog eyes were impossible to resist, but why would I resist him anyways?

"Of course I will." I half-smiled and kissed his nose. He seemed to glow after that, which made my heart happy. For the rest of class, I tried to listen intently. But Jonathan and I were snuggled close together, and I couldn't help but smile.