chapter seven

In drama class, Jon had invited me to hang out with his friends. Although they teased him relentlessly, Jon would look at me and smile. He seemed to smile a lot when he was around me, as if I made him happy. But I knew better than that.

Jon and I sat close together for the whole class. Everyone seemed to realize that there was something between the two of us, but even I wasn't sure what it was. But whatever it really was, it felt good. It felt right.

Soon enough, class ended.

"You ready?" I asked Jonathan as we stood up.

"You bet," he flashed me a charming smile. "Can I drive?"

"Oh, I forgot that I ride my bike to school," I said, disappointed at the fact that I wouldn't be able to ride with Jonathan.

"That's okay. I could put it in my trunk, if you'd like..."

"I would love that," I looked into Jon's beautiful ocean eyes, and he looked back into my dull gray ones. It seemed rather romantic, besides the fact that his friends kept making gagging noises in the background.

"Shut up, would you?" Jon rolled his eyes at his friends and then put his arm around me. He did it rather often, which I didn't mind at all. This time, I wedged myself closer to him. At first Jon stiffened, but then he relaxed a bit. Giving his friends a final glare, Jonathan led me out of the school and over to his car.

He unlocked his door for me and held it open, like a chauffer. Once I was safely inside the car, he politely closed my car door and effortlessly lifted my bike into his trunk. Then he climbed into the driver's seat and put the key in the ignition.

"You can go ahead and start reading through it if you'd like," Jonathan said as he handed me my script. I turned to thank him, but I froze in shock when he kissed my forehead abruptly. As I sat there beside him, frozen, Jonathan smirked. I blushed and turned away, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Aw, I made you blush," he gushed as he turned the key and started driving.

"Oh shush," I chided, making him chuckle.

"Don't be embarrassed, Katie. I think it's adorable."

I smiled and blushed an even deeper rouge before turning to my script. As I was concentrating on some of my lines, I felt something. I turned, and Jonathan's hand was once again entwined with mine. I blushed again and scooted over towards Jon.

Although the car ride was rather short, our hands were glued together as if by magic for the rest of the ride.

Jonathan parked his car in an empty parking space in front of my apartment. We got out and he handed me my bike so I could walk it over to the rack.

•••

"Is your mom home?" He asked as I fumbled with the key to my apartment.

"No, she left for a business trip today," I said. I could practically hear Jonathan's smirk, but I turned and looked anyways. His eyes gleamed and he raised his eyebrows.

"No. No! No way. Absolutely not." I said, appalled. Jon laughed and I playfully punched him in the arm.

When I finally got the door open, I led Jon into my living room and set my things on the side of the couch.

"Do you want me to turn on some music?" I asked.

"Sure," he said, a smile curling playfully at the edge of his lips.

I carefully selected a mix tape of some of my favorite songs, combined with some of my mom's favorite songs, and placed it in my stereo. I turned the music down to a low volume and sat on the couch, patting the seat next to me so Jon would sit there. When he sat next to me, I smiled and pecked him on the cheek.

"When will you kiss me right here?" Jon asked, pointing to his lips.

"You're quite forward, aren't you?" I laughed.

"Is that a bad thing?" He frowned.

"No, no, it works for you because you're cute," I confessed.

"I thought we agreed that you were cute and I was perfect," he reminded me.

"Just be quiet and help me with my lines." Jon paused for a moment.

"How about we work after you dance with me?"

"What?!" I laughed, confused by his question.

"I like this song, and I like you. So why not combine the two?" I was stunned by what he said, but I knew deep down that he didn't mean it romantically.

"What's the song?" I asked casually.

"Easy by Faith No More. A great song by a great band." Oh. This was probably a song my mom had chosen.

"Okay, then. Is the offer of a dance still on the table?" Jon's face lit up as he stood and pulled me off of the couch. I stumbled a bit, but Jon held onto me the whole time.

"Are you ready for the best dance of your life?" He asked. I giggled as he placed my arms around his neck. I moved my hands so they were resting along his collarbone, and he placed his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

We swayed in time with the music like that until I moved my hands again. This time, my arms were draped over his shoulders and my hands were resting lightly on his back.

I closed my eyes, taking in the magic of the moment. When I opened my eyes again, I found a pair of wild ocean blue eyes staring at me. I stared back as we kept swaying, and slowly but surely the distance between us closed.

The tips of our noses brushed, and then our lips met. Jon's lips touched mine softly, like a cloud laying on a pillow. After a few moments, I moved in closer and kissed him a bit rougher. The kiss seemed well-received. He pulled me as close to him as humanly possible and moved his hands around the small of my back as our kisses became more firm. I was about to french him when the phone rang. Reluctantly, I pulled away to go answer it.

"Hello?... Oh, hey Mom." Jonathan's eyes widened when I said that, so I playfully ruffled his hair. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just rehearsing lines with a friend... uh-huh... okay thanks. Bye Mom, love you." I hung up.

"So... where were we?" Jon smirked, closing in on me. I kissed him playfully before I pulled away again.

"First, help me learn my lines. And then maybe I'll make some magic happen," I teased.

Jonathan's eyes sparkled with enthusiasm as I flopped on the couch and opened my script. Jon sat beside me again, but this time I was cradled into his chest and his arms were wrapped around me.

He kissed along my jawline and neck softly, making it hard to concentrate on my lines. His kisses were smooth and delicate and I could melt right into the moment. But there was a time and place for everything, and this was not that time. It was Jon's turn to read his line and he hadn't even noticed.

"Jon," I nudged him. He looked at me and I sighed. "It's your line."

"Oh, right," he said softly, trailing his index finger along the spots he had kissed me just a few moments before.

"But Captain, I don't need some teenage girl as my superior!" He read it over my shoulder, his finger still grazing my skin.

"She's not any younger than you, Lucas," I read aloud in my best imitation of Captain Bridger. Jon laughed at that, and then brushed his nose along my cheek.

Although I loved it, I desperately needed to work on my lines. I sighed, bracing myself for the long hours ahead.