chapter five

"That was so cool," I said, leaning back into the passenger seat of Jonathan's car.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself," he replied. Although he was keeping his eyes on the road, I could tell that he was smiling at me. Oh, that smile.

"It was just, so... surreal," I continued, staring off into space. "Like something out of a movie, although that could've just been the set. You know, I never thought I would actually get anywhere professional so quickly, yknow, and-"

Jon laughed.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You're so excited over something so small. It's adorable. And it's eye-opening to see how so little can impact someone so much." He looked at me as the car stopped at a red light, and I looked right back at him. It was dark outside, we had spent the whole day at the studio, so I couldn't see his face all too well. But I saw a sparkle in his perfect eyes that could've lit up the whole road.

"Well, you've been acting most your life. I'm new to this, remember? At least, I'm new to it professionally."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Jonathan made a hard left and I fortuitously leaned into him. "Ah, so now you come for my comfort!" He mocked. I giggled and leaned away, but not before he could stretch his right arm around me again.

"What is it with you and holding people?" I joked, but Jonathan looked ashamed and pulled his arm back.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"No, no, it's okay! I don't mind it at all! In fact, I think it's rather cute," I said to him. I gently touched his arm, then picked it up and put it around me. I smiled at Jonathan, and he smiled back. His arm stayed around me for the rest of the car ride.

"Thanks again, Jonathan. For everything," I said as he pulled up to the sidewalk outside my apartment.

"Anytime. And call me Jon, it's what I prefer my friends to call me. Jonathan seems too, well, formal."

"Okay, Jon. Thanks for today, it was a blast." I leaned towards him to kiss him on the cheek, and then I opened the passenger door and walked out. He waved before driving away, as I stood there staring after him and blushing like a fool.

I was the one who kissed him, not the other way around! So why was I so embarrassed? Not wanting to dwell on it anymore, I turned around and entered my apartment.

"How was it, hon?" My mom asked as soon as I walked in the door.

"It was really cool, Mom!" I sat down on the couch beside her and told her all about my day. Of course I didn't tell her about anything with Jonathan, just that he had been a good friend and was really helpful.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, hon. When do you guys start filming?"

"I believe it's next weekend," I replied. "The producers are sending me the script. If I don't get it by tomorrow, though, Jon will hand me a copy at school on Monday." Thinking of seeing Jon on Monday made my heart happy.

"Well, Katie, it's getting late," my mom said. "I think you'd better turn in."

"Okay, Mom. I love you," I told her as I walked into my bedroom.

"Love you, too!" She called back. I shut the door of my bedroom and changed into some pajamas. I fell asleep, and that night I dreamt of Jon.