chapter four

Honk honk.

A car horn sounded in the front of my apartment. He was here. I took one last quick glance in the mirror before dashing out the door. Jonathan was in his car waiting, and when he saw me he smiled.

"You look great," he told me as I slid into the passenger seat.

"I gotta dress to impress," I replied. He laughed his beautiful laugh.

"You already have the part, don't worry. I told the producers about how amazing you were yesterday, so they took my word for it and signed you on."

"You're unbelievable," I said, awestruck.

"I know talent when I see it, and that's what you've got." I blushed as our eyes locked(again), and I felt as if I could get lost in those gorgeous blue eyes forever. We held our gaze for what was probably a minute, but it was the longest and the best minute of my life.

"Oh, shoot, we probably need to get going. It wouldn't be very good if we were late," Jonathan broke off his gaze and started up the car.

"Yeah, I wouldn't want to make a bad first impression," I agreed. I was honestly a little bummed that our eye contact had to come to an end, but in those short moments, I had felt a connection to Jonathan in a way that I had never felt with anyone before.

••••••

Jonathan gave me a tour of the studio and introduced me to different people that were working on the show. I recognized Roy Scheider from the movie Jaws, and I started freaking out. Jonathan smiled and pushed me lightly towards Roy.

"No, I can't. No way," I said, turning back to Jonathan.

"Come on," Jonathan smirked. He put his arm around my shoulders and led me over to the Roy Scheider.

"Roy, there's somebody I'd like for you to meet," Jonathan said, gesturing to me.

"Mr. Scheider-" I said breathlessly. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Please, call me Roy," he chuckled as he stuck his hand out in greeting. I shook it. His hand was firm and warm, and his grasp nearly made me faint. After letting go, I just stood there, gaping at Roy in awe, before Jonathan put his arm around me again and led me away. I was so awestruck that I almost didn't notice how close Jonathan was holding me.

"I'm gonna show you your dressing room," he said, his arm still draped over my shoulders.

"Oh-kay," I managed to get out, and he laughed.

"With talent like yours, you'll probably end up meeting people that are much more famous than Roy Scheider," he told me.

"You mean, like, Harrison Ford??" I asked hopefully.

"You're cute," Jonathan smiled at me.

"Cute?" I exclaimed. "I thought I would be at a much higher level than that."

"Well, there's cute, and then there's perfect. Now, I'm pretty flawless, so guess where that leaves you," he chuckled.

"I can be flawless too, Mr. Brandis," I said confidently (but in a joking matter).

"Okay, sure. As soon as you stop fangirling over Roy Scheider, I'll be sure to give you a call."

"Fine, you win. I'm cute, and you're perfect."

"Ah, see, now that makes much more sense," he said mockingly, and we laughed. He slowly moved his arm off of my shoulders, but he retracted it in a way where his finger was trailing across the top of my shoulders and the back of my neck. Shivers went down my spine, but I tried not to show it. I just looked at him as he looked at me, and all felt right in the world.

I wasn't not freaking out, I was just hiding it all away. It was so easy to be myself around Jonathan. And besides, I'm an actress now. Any romantic feelings I might have could be pushed to the bottom and dealt with later, in private. Right now was a time where I needed a friend.