Successfully evading responsibility pt.1

A sky full of stars and he was staring at her.

4 months later...

"Tammy! Have you got your coat?" Matilda shouted from the hallway.

The youngest girl came toddling down the stairs in a frenzy as she did up the latches on her duffel coat.

The family of six were going out on a day trip. Throughout the whole morning, the house had been manic as everyone wanted to get out of the door as quickly as possible to get the day going.

——

Earlier...

It started with Dorothy and Thomas sleeping in slightly, only to be quickly woken up by four sets of feet jumping on their bed and once on Thomas' calf, which he did not appreciate. Dorothy dug her head further into Thomas' neck when he howled with pain, trying to suppress her giggles.

Thomas snatched up Leah in his arms, who was the guilty child of attacking his leg, and brought her into a tight squeeze, tickling her sides. "Aye, you think it's funny to step on me legs? Nasty bugger, you." The girl was squealing and squirming to get out of his grip.

Eventually, Thomas relented and told them all to go eat and get ready for the day. The real reason was because he wanted to spend time with Dorothy in the morning.

Today was a big day, after all.

"Mornin', love" Thomas adjusted his head so he could look down at her still drowsy form. He took his index finger and brushed it lightly against her cheek which made her giggle slightly. "Ready for the big day?" He placed a soft kiss on her lips as she heaved herself up on her elbows.

"Absolutely! Don't let me forget my camera, though!" She sat up and fluffed her hair out. Thomas was baffled how her ringlets stayed in all night, but he wasn't complaining.

Thomas had quickly acquired a new camera for Dorothy shortly after she came back. He saw how sad she was when she found a  pretty flower and reached for her camera, only for it to not be there. It wasn't the same as her old one that her dad got her, but she claimed that material things like that didn't matter.

The two were getting ready and Thomas drifted into his thoughts. He loved the mornings more than anything else. Everything was still and peaceful. He always had Dorothy tucked into his side or resting her head on his chest. She always said he was the only source of warmth she could find, and that she liked listening to his breathing and heartbeat. He thought it was strange, but fully embraced the idea when he found that the night terrors stopped.

The truth is, Dorothy read a book about trauma and night terrors and found they were often a result of feeling unsafe. So Dorothy did that, she made it safe. She became a safe place for Thomas- and it worked a treat.

Thomas was nervous about sleeping in the same bed as Dorothy, even though he'd never admit it. At first it was the night terrors, but shortly after that, he knew they wouldn't be a problem. The second problem was what Dorothy thought.

Thomas cursed himself and hated every fibre of his being for letting her go. As a result of Eli Barron, she had become more skittish than usual when she was tired. Thomas sat with her once or twice and they talked about it. Dorothy described the events and explained that it was in the past and even though it would forever effect her, she wouldn't let it get in the way of enjoying her life. This, Thomas envied her for. Her ability to let things go and continue to live as if everything was going to be alright.

Even though, it wasn't alright, was it? It never is after something like that. But we all pretend. Don't we?

Dorothy got closure in the fact that it was behind her and now she had Thomas.
Thomas got closure by visiting the disgusting man and promptly diverting him on his way to the seventh circle of Hell.

On the way down to the kitchen, Dorothy stopped by a large portrait on the left side of the staircase. She leaned against the bannister and looked on at the painting she had commissioned of Charlie. Thomas had hired the best artist he could find and Dorothy provided them with multiple photos she had taken and gave details of the colour of his eyes, hair, his cheeky grin.

Every morning she stopped on her way down and had a chat. Closure came in many different ways and for this family, it was knowing that their loved ones were always there, right next to them. At home.

Dorothy took great comfort in talking to his portrait. She greeted him when she was walking up and down the staircase. She stopped for minor small talk when she had a bit more time on her hands. Days when she was feeling lonely, she'd talk for hours about everything and nothing. She'd talk about what was making her sad, happy, angry, excited. Everything.

Usually, when Thomas got back from work, he'd go straight to the staircase as he'd always find her there.

Thomas had finished getting ready and made his way towards the kitchen downstairs.

He stopped briefly for a moment to listen to Dorothy's silky voice excitedly explain what they were going to do that day and how much fun they were going to have.

"-oh Charlie, I wish you could be here. You should see Bubs. He's so happy all the time now. It makes me really happy. Your brother and sisters adore him. So much."

If he let her carry on for too long, she'd start saying other soppy things that Thomas was afraid of.

"Ready, Bonny?" He made his way down the stairs and stood next to Dorothy with his hand on her back, who had perched herself on the bannister somehow by interlocking her legs around the posts holding it up. Thomas always got slightly nervous when she did that as there was nothing steadying her.

Dorothy nodded and got off the bannister, fleeing down to the kitchen.
Thomas tipped his hat towards the portrait, "mornin' Charlie." He too, secretly had conversations with the extravagant piece. But most days, like everyone else in the house, even the maids, he tipped his hat with a small greeting.

Speaking of maids, Dorothy had also insisted that all the staff ate with the family. Dorothy hated the idea that people were left out and demanded that everyone ate and enjoyed themselves together. Thomas didn't mind much and the kids made fast friends with some. At least the table looked more full.

Without much time to spare, the family made their way to the stables on the estate and everyone picked out a horse. Dorothy decided that all the kids should know how to ride horses during their time away, so the one they had at their cottage was used for riding lessons.

Much to Thomas' and Dorothy's hesitation, Matilda stated that she'd like to have Tammy on her horse with her. The young toddler was obviously not old enough to ride on her own, but Thomas just figured he'd keep her secure on his horse as he knew he'd keep her safe.

Dorothy reluctantly agreed, and the family moved on, journeying across the rolling hills and fields. Everything was calm and peaceful, that was, of course, until Dorothy gave Thomas the look and the two adults lost all sense of maturity and raced to the next field over.

Thomas won.
He also didn't let Dorothy forget it.

——

This is part one of this little section. I've split up this because I honestly didn't have time to write more and tomorrow's one is going to take a lot more time!

This short 2 part section is NOT the end of the book and more will come after, but I do have an announcement about the proceedings after this book!

Do not fear, I really could never let go of Bonny and Bubs, so when this book is finished, I will start writing small oneshot adventures of the two. I'd also love it for my lovely readers to get involved with the journey of those mini-series! So if any of you would like to send an idea or request something of the sorts, then I'd LOVE to hear it. Just to note, that book will be more of a side project to my next book, as I already have other plans for a whole new Peaky Blinders story!

Thanks for the love.
Feedback and comments are wanted.
See ya next time!