Successfully evading responsibility pt.2

Better creatures could love you, I know.
But now they'll have to
Get through
Me.

After hours of exploring the English countryside, the group of peculiar people wondered back to the estate. The mid-afternoon sun was warm and brought rosy cheeks and made the back of their necks sticky, but no one cared, for everything was right. Thomas though, was slightly nervous.

It was a big day, after all.

But he had no time to worry as the love of his life danced in front of him swaying to the sound of the wind and gliding elegantly on her stallion.

——

The house was open when they got back. All windows and doors left unlatched to try and get the air flowing through.
But despite the sleepy afternoon heat, the day was not done yet.

Dorothy had promised to teach the kids how to make some of her most famous baked sweets. Dorothy also promised to make some Billion Dollar Bubs which made Thomas' face light up like a child's, but she didn't point it out.

Dorothy had actually started a new business from home. She baked sweets and went out to local markets all around outside of Birmingham to sell her goods. Word quickly grew and many business men approached her to see if they could grow her company into something bigger, but Thomas quickly stepped in and explained that they were only going to exploit her. She was going to say no anyway, she didn't want her sweets to become a brand, but just her.

Thomas had ardently insisted that she didn't need a job and he could provide fully for everyone, but she fought back and stated that she wasn't going to sit around all day and do nothing. The staff were busy, the small ones had school and played outside all day and she could only talk to Charlie for so long.

While everyone was getting out of their muddy clothes, Thomas fumbled around with his bedside drawer.

With all the new money coming in, Thomas was able to provide more for the whole of his family, which was, for him, the greatest gift he could give.

The children and Dorothy could have better lives with full bellies and clothes on their back.
But weirdly enough, they weren't much interested in the latter.

They stuck to their worn down clothes and cheap new ones as they believed them to just be nicer in general. Dorothy had almost completely ditched dresses and now wore trousers with suspenders and loose blouses.

They had seemingly rubbed off on Thomas as he now too only wore his regular suits when leaving the house or going to work. He now lunged about in loose trousers with suspenders and a cotton shirt. Dorothy always took the time to appreciate the sight.

Before Dorothy and Thomas went downstairs, Thomas stopped Dorothy in the doorway and stumbled around a bit. He was mumbling a bit which Dorothy didn't mind as he did that often.

Before Thomas could get any words out, they heard the sound of feet pattering up the stairs, joined with a discreet, "afternoon Charlie" and Theo bounding up the landing.
"You two coming? Everyone's waiting."

Dorothy smiled, took Thomas' hand and they made their way down the stairs, "hello Charlie" the couple noted in synch.

The family congregated in Dorothy's kitchen. She had renovated the spare room into a kitchen for her, not too different from the one in the bakery, claiming that she didn't want to get in the staffs way and that she didn't want to intrude on a place where they could relax and have time to themselves.

Dorothy put a record on and the fun began. Thomas had learned after many late Saturday nights how to make the Million Dollar Bubs and had almost mastered the recipe, but no matter what, it was never like Dorothy's. Thomas put himself in charge of melting the dark chocolate and Theo and Tammy watched intently. Thomas knew Theo was more interested in the fire and melting-shit part and Tammy wanted to lick the bowl, but their enthusiasm still counted.

Matilda and Leah were stirring the oats and syrup, giggling about a silly romance novel they read together on nights when Leah couldn't sleep.

Dorothy was heating up the furnaces and was rifling through her box of random essentials for her boiled sweets that she always kept on hand.
She turned around to watch Thomas try not to burn himself and Theo who was steadily getting closer to the pan as they melted the dark chocolate.

She waited for Thomas to put out the flame before she wrapped her arms around his torso from behind, giggling slightly to herself. Thomas held her hands which rested on his diaphragm and tried to turn around to face her with a cheeky smile on his face, but Dorothy held him in place, refusing to let him move.

She slowly brought her hand up and brushed it up his chest to his neck and down his jaw. She brushed her fingers up against his lips and unexpectedly slotted something in between them. Thomas immediately jolted, but soon calmed down when he realised it was just a boiled sweet.

He turned around in her arms, only to see her with the cheeky grin on her face. He wrapped his arms around her petite waist and leaned down to hover above her lips, "you little minx..." he placed a sweet kiss on her lips, but Dorothy quickly pushed him back.

"Nuh uh, sir." She wagged her finger in front of his face and pointed to the boiled sweet which was now poking halfway out of his mouth, "I know that trick. You can't pull that on me." She giggled into her hand. Dorothy slowly reached up again and brushed her hand across his cheekbones, then gliding them down to his top lip.

Before Thomas had time to react, Dorothy plucked the sweet from his teeth and popped it into her mouth, sending a wink his way before walking over to assist Matilda and Leah.

Thomas watched her gentle movements and swift, delicate actions "That was the sexiest thing... ever."

——

Ok I lied, this is going to be a three part piece!

I'd also like to thank EVERYONE for 12K reads and 500 upvotes! That shit is insane to me and the support is forever amazing!

Thanks for the love.
Feedback and comments are wanted.
See ya next time!