Chapter Three

If I were being honest with myself, I would admit that I was bursting at the seams to tell Meg everything. And everything is what I told her. She came over to help me get the condo together. The girls were content in their room. Wine was involved and I spilled the beans.

Meg sat on the floor in front of a box of old photos her mouth gaped open. I didn't say anything or encourage her to speak. I didn't know what to say. I gave her the time to wrap her head around it, because truth be told, five years later and I was still wrapping my head around it.

"Are you sure it's Sean and Drew?" she asked after what felt like forever. "Our bosses?"

"Your bosses, my clients," I stated. "And yes. I'm sure. There are just some things you don't forget."

"I bet," she said with a laugh. Her eyes got big and she jumped up from the floor.

"Meg," I hissed, already knowing her destination.

Meg raced over to the girls room and peeked in. They were on Julianna's bed playing on their tablets.

"My Jo-Jo," Meg called. Joanna looked over at us and Meg gasped. "She turned to me and spoke in a loud whisper. "She looks like-"

"Meg," I scolded. "Go back to playing baby," I said and pulled the door closed. I turned and glared at Meg.

"She looks like Drew," she finished.

"I know," I said through clenched teeth and pulled her back into the living room.

Meg laughed as I pulled her along. She was drunk.

"And Julianna looks like Sean."

"Meg, I know."

"But I thought they were twins?"

"They are. They were conceived on the same night. They were born a minute apart. They're twins." I let out a sigh. "They also happen to be half sisters."

"This is so wild," Meg said and plopped down on the couch. "And you've always known?"

"Yeah."

"How?" Meg leaned forward with her elbows perched on her knees. Her eyes held so much excitement.

I was glad she found the soap opera that was my life amusing.

"When I found out that I was having twins I asked the doctor if there was a way to determine if they had the same father."

Meg's mouth fell open for the second time.

"You asked the doctor to let you know if your kids had the same father?"

"Meg," I said.

"Come on. You're more likely the type to ignore the entire thing than have anyone think that you're a big ole hoe."

I sucked my teeth.

"Let me ask you a question." I waved her on. "We ran into each other that morning."

We did. We both showed up to the door of our villa doing the walk of shame. Meg smiled widely at me and asked, "What were you doing?", I answered, "Some guy," opened the door and went inside. For me the conversation was dropped.

"Instead of telling me that you hooked up with some guy, why didn't you tell me that you hooked up with two guys. At the same time."

I let out a breath.

"Because I didn't want you to think I was a big ole hoe."

"Because you didn't want me to think you were a big ole hoe."

We spoke at the same time.

I covered my face with my hands.

"You're right, but my hoeness aside, I needed to know. So, after they were born, I had a paternity test done to determine if they had both parents in common and surprise surprise, I was the only common denominator."

"How does something like that happen?" Meg asked. She was genuinely interested.

"Something about two eggs being released and both of them being fertilized. I don't know. What I do know is that I was too stupid and drunk to insist on condoms and ended up with twin daughters who are also half sisters."

"Man, this is good."

"I'm glad you're enjoying it." I plopped down on the couch beside her.

"Are you going to tell them?"

"No. I'm going to act like I don't know who they are."

"Do you think they remember you?"

"I doubt it." A part of me hoped they did. "What reason would they have to remember me?"

"Why do you remember them?"

"Because I had their kids?"

"Truth."

I leaned against the back of the couch. Meg did the same. After a minute I turned to look at her.

"I remember them because it was the most exciting sexual experience I will ever have in my entire life."

"You're counting future sexual experiences as well?"

"Yup."

We fall silent for a minute.

"Damn it."

I turn to look at Meg. "What?"

"I wish I was there," she said and I couldn't help but laugh.