Chapter Twenty-Seven

Drew

Sean and I had just finished moving everything we owned in our new house. It was a two-story home with five bedrooms, two baths, and a large backyard with a pool. Luckily when we purchased the house it had been perfect and move-in ready. We had gone back and forth about the number of bedrooms. Did we really need five? Eventually, we decided that when the girls got older they would likely want their own rooms, and what about the future. What if we wanted more kids?

Honestly, I couldn't help thinking about Jade pregnant again, with our kid. After she had taken care of us at the beginning of the week, I could really see us as a family. If only she had felt the same. I wanted to convince her but Sean and I had agreed to not push her. If she never wanted to be with us that would be okay. We've done fine with just the two of us. And we had our daughters. Jade fit in that missing piece, but if she couldn't see it we would be okay.

I walked up the stairs and turned to the first bedroom. The room that the twins had picked out to be their room. I stood in the doorway and watched as Sean decorated. Having daughters really brought out the extreme decorator in him. He had fixed up a room for the girls in the penthouse and now he was determined to make their room as special as that one.

I watched his shoulders bunch as he applied the LOL wall art. I understood why women got worked up seeing men take care of their kids or do household chores. Sean was a beautiful man. Always had been, but at the moment I wanted nothing more than to strip him down and have my way with.

"Get your mind out of the gutter."

I looked up and saw Sean watching me a smirk on his face. He wiped his hands on a rag, the muscles in his arms flexing.

"Can't help myself," I admitted.

"Yeah well, we promised the girls we would pick them up. I don't want to be late," his deep baritone voice got louder as he moved closed.

Without so much as another look at me, Sean stepped out of the room and down the hall. I stood in the doorway and watched him go. My heart sank as he stepped into the room and closed the door. His room. Not our room.

I headed to the bedroom at the end of the hall. The master bedroom. The room we should share. Like we shared everything. I opened the closet and stared at my clothes. The walk in closet was large enough for both Sean and I to share. Jade too, but I nor Sean voiced that thought out loud. As it stood the closet currently held only my clothes. I should have fought harder when Sean insisted on having his own room. He had been distancing himself since Jade drew her line in the sand. I thought moving into the house would change things but the extra bedroom made it easier for him to step back.

I wasn't going to push him. Like Jade, he needed time. I wasn't going to push. This wasn't going to break us.

I grabbed some clean clothes and headed into the master bath to take a quick shower.

*****

Sean

I felt the tension rolling off of Drew as we drove to Jade's condo. I didn't miss the look on his face when I had turned around after finishing up the girls wall decor. I saw the disappointment when I didn't act on it.

I wasn't trying to push him away but something felt off. Something was missing. We both knew what that was but Drew was better at ignoring it than I was.

Drew parked the car and we both climbed out. We stood outside her door and Drew knocked. No one came to the door but I could make out the hushed sounds of the girls. A smile crept up because I expected Julianna to open the door, the little rebel. To my surprise the door remained shut.