Undisclosed Truth

The air in the small flat got tense as mother and daughter sat down facing each other.

Zuzile was trying to figure out a way to break the news to her daughter and Sindile was waiting with anticipation to find the reason behind her mother's suspicious behavior.

She had a feeling that her mother was going to tell her some really bad news and she was getting anxious by the second. She began to suck her thumb while watching her mother struggle with her speech.

"So, your brother did something really bad" Zuzile shuddered after saying those words. Clearly whatever it was his brother had done was really devastating to make her mother behave so strange.

Sindile took her thumb out from her mouth frowning. "Come on Mama, doesn't Mongi always do despicable things. What has the fool done this time? Please don't tell me he let the cattle break into the witch doctors corn fields again. That man is going to use his voodoo magic on us one of these days. Where is Mong..." her mother started to laugh cutting her off. She glared at her guessing this wasn't about Mongezi at all.

"Trust me child, Mongi is not the culprit this time" Sindile was exasperated, her eyes were wide as saucers "What, so Manzi did it. He let the cattle break int..."

"Oh my goodness child! Why do you always associate every bad thing with that poor man? He might have to use his voodoo on you for dragging him in into every bad situation" Sindile went speechless. She was very scared of the witch doctor.

"What could Manzi possibly do that is so bad, it couldn't be that bad could it?" she asked, not believing her mother at all.

"Oh but it is that bad. You do realize that your brother have been an eligible bachelor for quite some time now yet he seemed not to have any interest in getting married. He wanted to support you and Mongi until you were able to stand on your own"

"I know that mama. Has Manzi changed his mind? Mother there is nothing wrong  with him getting married now. And besides, it would take years for his children to have to go to school.

And am sure by then Mongi will be finished with his education. I really do not see how it would to be a problem if he has wife. Mother don't you want grand children?" Sindile was getting excited.

"Child, that is besides the point. Cor's I want grand children, in fact I want some from each one of you. Now, do you know the Chiefs daughter, the last born? She has been a head maiden for a couple of years now" that brought a smile on Sindile's face.

"You mean Kayise, that lady is a beauty. I am surprised she stayed unwed for so long. She has every rich man in the land begging for her hand in marriage and it is said that she have turned every offer down. She wants to marry for love, clever lady if you ask me"

Zuzile scoffed. Her daughter had no idea how what she was getting at would change her life forever. She knew that the reason Sindile was so thrilled about Kayise is because she herself wanted to marry for love. She had no idea that Manzemvula has taken that chance away from her.

"She might not be as clever as you think. Now I am going to tell you a secret. Whatever I tell you right now should not be repeated anywhere else, not even to that friend of yours with the flat arse"

"Mother! Her name is Dumile and I think her behind is just fine" Sindile was exasperated, her mother really did not like her best friend Dumile and she never understood why.

"Whatever! Just don't talk about it to that girl, there is no saying what she would do with such information"

"OK mama I promise I won't tell a soul. Now tell me, what's the big secret?" she couldn't wait to hear what the fuss was all about.