Goat Fur Bracelet

The heat from the summer's sunshine was getting worse by noon and everyone was sitting under the shade around the yard where the women and girls were gathering, singing traditional songs and dancing around Sindile and her new child Zuzi.

The men in the braai area were also sitting under the shade of a huge mango tree a few paces away from the fire where the younger boys were preparing meat for lunch.

Ncwala had wandered off to his house forgetting about the friends he left with strangers in the braai area. The heat from the adrenaline rush was a bit too much also fueled by the heat wave from today's weather. 

The law enforcement gear was beginning to suffocate him and he needed a change of clothes and quickly.

He got to his flat and the moment he went inside his nostrils was hit by the sweet fresh smell of lavender oils he had had a whiff of when he sat next to Sindile. He closed his eyes taking the scent in relishing in its freshness, it was so refreshing. 

Goodness, why does she have to smell so nice, he face palmed himself, walking over to the wardrobe. He perused through his clothes looking for something less suffocating and just when he was about to give up his eyes trailed to the bed and his eyes lit up with enthusiasm.

On the side of the neatly made bed was his traditional gear, and nothing is less suffocating than the males traditional gear, it is like walking around almost half naked. He wondered who could have been so thoughtful to even prepare an outfit for him.

Ncwala looked at himself on the looking glass and was satisfied with the image in front of him. He was ready to join his friends, he has left them alone for too long already.

Sindile and her child were led to the great hut, the family shrine to be introduced to the family's ancestors. This was a welcome break from sitting down for too long. She got a chance to stretch her back for a bit as they walked to the shrine. 

Though her break was short lived as they were expected to sit on grass mats again, this time around legs stretched. Her back was burning with pain and she couldn't wait for this day to end already.

Gozolo, the messenger entered the hut holding a huge black and white goat by its horns. The beast was fighting by all might to be released, this man had such strength it was ecstatic to watch.

"I hereby present this beast as an honor to the two families union" he announced. This was a gift from Ncwala's father for the teka ritual. 

The goat is taken outside to be slaughtered for their unions honor but Sindile will not be allowed to eat the meat from this goat. 

Only one sacred part of the goat will be reserved for her, the heart and it is the representation of her love to the Mamba family.

The head will be eaten by Ncwala and other man in the braai area which is a  great honor because it means today Ncwala becomes a man, a head of a family in the eyes of the community and other men of the Mamba clan.

The forehead of the goat was skinned and made into a bracelet. This fur band  is an equivalent of a wedding band.

Gozolo comes back into the hut holding the piece of goat skin made into a bracelet. He goes straight to Sindile and kneels before her. 

"Hold out your hand for me" he twists the piece of skin onto her wrist. It has the strong smell of a goat and the leather is still fresh and wet. 

"You will have to wear it until the leather hardens, and be sure to protect it from water until it is dry" he warns.

Sindile nods her head in understanding, "Now you have to kidnap your child and run to the stream with him" 

"Why am I supposed to be kidnapped" Zuzi is shocked, he neither knows nor understands the tradition.

 "So that the family will gift your new mother with a Cow that is going to be presented has her mother's gift for losing a child to another family on the day her bride prize is paid to her family" Gozolo explained to the child. 

Zuzi's eyes lit up with curiosity "And what if they don't give us the Cow?" 

"Then I will truly kidnap you and take you home with me" Sindile said with a straight face earning a shocked stare from Zuzi.

"Do not worry boy, your father loves you all too much, he would never rest until you are back home, and besides, LaBanda is your fathers favorite person, he have been talking about her nonstop when he came back from Melethe" he reassured the young heir who looked quite relieved and was immediately back to his reserved and quiet self. 

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀
Please leave a VOTE and COMMENT before going forward. It will be much appreciated. And again thank you for giving my story a chance. Lots and Lots of LOVE