Chapter 13

· Jace ·

When I finally roll out of bed the next morning at nine, I'm greeted by the heavenly smell of frying bacon and fresh brewed coffee. My stomach grumbles appreciatively and as I dress I can't help the smile that tugs at my lips.

Though I hadn't told her anything last night, I still feel a bit lighter this morning, as though her offer alone had relieved me of some of my burden. And it's not just that, really. It's more the intimacy of her own declaration that has eased my mind.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not about to question it. In letting me know I'm not alone, she's bolstered my own courage to face this new day.

I run my hands through my hair to tame it before leaving my room and joining her in the kitchen. She stands at the stove, her back facing me, her long hair free and tumbling down to her waist, like a waterfall lit by the red glow of sunset.

I pull out a stool and sit down, content to just watch her in silence. When she finally turns to acknowledge me, it's with a warm smile and a wave of the spatula she holds in her hand.

"Morning," I say, the corner of my mouth turning up to return the gesture. "Sleep good?"

She laughs lightly and shakes her head.

"About as well as I ever do anymore," she answers softly. But the shadow that accompanies her words tells me more than she says aloud.

"Same here."

"So, do you have plans for today?" she asks without turning. Scooping the last strips of bacon from the skillet and laying it on an awaiting plate beside her, she deftly removes the pan and turns off the stove.

"I've got to run by the hospital in just a little bit, but aside from that I don't really have any plans. It's Sunday and the shop is closed."

Though I fight against the frown that tugs at my mouth, I know the worry line has reappeared between my eyes. She pauses in reaching for the plate, then turns and shoots a worried glance toward me over her shoulder.

"The hospital?" she prompts, returning to her task, as if trying not to seem too eager for more information.

I rub my eyes and let out a silent breath.

"It's my sister. She was admitted last night and I need to go check on her." I open my eyes to find her fixing both of us a plate.

"What's wrong with Katherine? Is she okay?"

The question startles me. Have I told her about Katie? If I did, I can't remember doing so.

"How'd you know my sister's name?" I ask warily, trying to sound more at ease than I actually am.

"You must have mentioned it," she suggests, shrugging her shoulders. But the immediate flush on her cheeks gives away the lie.

"I think I'd remember if I had," I say as I rise from my seat.

The easy feeling I'd had when I'd awakened is quickly ebbing. I hadn't told her about Katie, not even that I have a sister. Had I? I rack my brain but come up with nothing, not even a single conversation that could have led up to that, not that I'd been keeping it a secret. Per her own rules, I'd been focused on keeping things impersonal with her, so why would I have divulged anything of the kind to her?