Chapter 27

· Jace ·

I awake the next morning, still sitting up on Merri's bed with my back pressed against the wall, Merri's head laying in my lap. I can't remember either of us falling asleep but I know it was well past one o'clock when we did.

It had been a long night, and a hard one for both of us. As I look down at her I frown deeply, wondering if my dreams had been brought on just by what had happened last night, or if there is more to them than just that. They had been disjointed and dark--sometimes involving Merri, sometimes my sister, sometimes our parents--and the overall theme was death. Even now the essence of them clings to my mind, like an invisible cloak I can not shed.

As I watched Merri sleep I know I can't help her alone. The thought had entered my mind as I'd sat talking to in her room, and the renewed shadows in her eyes had been the deciding factor.

Not wanting to move but knowing I have to, I slip a hand slowly under Merri's head, lift it gently, then slide from beneath her. I grab her pillow then put it where my legs had been then ease off the bed. I reach for the edge of the blanket then fold it over her. Merri doesn't move, only lays motionless as I do all of this.

When I stand and look down at her, an involuntary shudder works its way through me, compliments of last night's cryptic dreams. Walking as softly as I can, I leave her room but do not close her door, leaving it open just in case. Just in case what, I wonder? But I really don't want to think about that.

I look at my watch with a scowl. I'll be late opening the shop today, but it can't be helped--there's no way I can leave Merri alone. I'm not sure how her mood will be affected by what had happened last night, but I'm not willing to find out the hard way if what I suspect is true.

In the kitchen I pick my phone up off the counter then dial as I begin making coffee. After four rings my sister picks up.

"Morning," Katie says sleepily before yawning loudly in my ear.

"Hope I didn't wake you."

"Nah, I've been up for a little bit."

We chat for a little while before I finally come around to what I most need to talk to her about. I tell her about last night and about Merri's episode, and then about the dreams I just can't seem shake.

"Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I'm really worried about her, sis. I think she's got some seriously bad stuff going on in her head right now."

"How bad?" Katie is fully awake now, and the edge in her voice says she is completely focused on my words.

"Maybe I'm just feeling panicky, but I don't think her mood the past few days has been genuine. I mean, I think in some ways she's been happier, but maybe for the wrong reasons. Christ, I know how I must sound right now."

"You sound upset, and unless I miss my guess I'm thinking you mean she might be thinking about ..." Her words trail off. It seems even she's afraid to voice what I've been thinking.

"I thought I was helping her, Katie. I really did. But then I took her down to Joe's last night--"

"Stop right there, Jace. You couldn't have known all that was going to happen. Don't you dare try to blame yourself for that. You weren't one of the assholes harassing her."