Chapter One: The Anchor

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶MACKENNA

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶
MACKENNA

WHEN THE WAVES CAME CRASHING down, Savanna was my anchor to hold me steady. But now, she's become one with the waves, and she slammed into me. Fast and hard. That it feels like I wouldn't be able to survive from it.

When our parents abandoned us without saying anything, I thought it was the biggest betrayal I'd ever felt. Yet, I was wrong... Because Savanna leaving me, despite knowing how painful it was when our own parents abandoned us, is the biggest betrayal ever. She knows how difficult it was for me to get up and resume my life, but she still did exactly the same thing.

Worse, she left me with nothing but a few extra clothes, snacks, nearly rotten fruits and veggies and instant noodles to get me through the next few days. I checked our whole apartment, and Savanna took our 50-inch TV, my coffee maker, my toaster, and even my freaking laptop that I just bought a few weeks ago!

Little by little, everything sinks into me. I also now understand why she wanted to borrow a large amount of money from me just a few days ago.

"How much?"

"Ten grand,"

"What?!" Nanlaki 'yong mata ko dahil sa sagot ni Savanna. "Why do you need that amount of money for?"

"Um... basta, may kailangan lang akong bilhin." I stared at her suspiciously. "What? Are you going to lend me money, or do I have to get a third job?"

I sighed, defeatedly. The last thing that I want to argue about with Savanna is money. "Alright, alright, but you have to pay me back before the end of the month, okay?" I waited until she nodded at me. "I need money to pay for our rent and bills this month. You know how strict our landlord is when it comes to payment." I told her while logging in on my mobile bank account and transferring money to Savanna.

"I will, I promise!"

"Good. Money sent!"

"Great. Thanks, Kenna! You're the best!" She said while hugging me, and then she went back to her room, buying whatever that stuff cost her ten thousand dollars.

Not even once did I suspect Savanna of doing this to me. Abandoning and robbing me at the same time.

I let out a sigh. Devastated, betrayed, and like I was drowning in a sea of emotions.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras na ako nakaupo dito, nag-iisip ng rason kung bakit 'to nagawa sa'kin ng sarili kong kapatid. But then again, it's not very surprising either. Maybe it runs in our blood to just bolt away from our loved ones. Take, for instance, my parents. Sigh.

Nakabalik lang ako sa wisyo nang marinig kong tumunog 'yong cellphone ko. Agad ko 'tong kinuha, at kahit na alam kong malabong si Savanna ang nag-text ay umasa pa rin ako. Hindi ko na mabilang kung nakailang tawag na ang ginawa ko simula kanina sakaniya, pero hindi siya sumasagot hanggang sa pinatay na niya ang cellphone niya. I also tried calling Foster, but his cellphone was turned off too.