chapter 17

When I walk into the gym everyone stops what they are doing. I see Zack turn around, when he sees me his jaw drops. I look down at the floor. I hear Zack walk to me because now the music has stopped playing. I can feel everyone's eyes on us. I look up to see that Zack is in a black tux with a tie that is the same color as my dress.

"You look... amazing." Zack says.

"You don't look to bad yourself." I say. "Everyone is staring at us." I whisper.

"I know." Zack says. He then leads me to a table in the corner of the gym and almost everyone goes back to doing their own thing and the music starts back up.

"Do you like my tie?" Zack asks.

"I do. How did you know to get that color?" I ask.

"Dean went in your room." He says.

After an hour everyone start to gather around by the stage.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"They are about to announce the homecoming king and queen." Zack says. We stand at the back of the crowd.

"Your homecoming king" the principal opens an envelope, "is... Zack Howley!" Then a spot light is put on Zack.

"Zack go on stage." I say. He walks through the crowd and onto the stage. A woman puts a plastic gold crown on his head. He flashes an award winning smile then I realize he is looking at me.

"And the moment you have all been waiting for... you homecoming queen is... Dylan Brynn!" I clap for the happy girl who won -wait, did they just say Dylan Brynn? Then a spot light is put on me. I walk through the parted crowd. I stand on stage next to Zack. The woman puts a crown on my head.

"Now you king and queen will dance." The principal says. Zack holds my hand as he guides us to the middle of the gym. A romantic country song starts to play and the spot light is on us. And for the second time tonight I feel everyone's eyes on us. Zack puts his hands on my waist and I put my hands on his shoulders. I have never danced like this before. We are getting to the last minute of the song and I don't ever want it to end, I know that once it does we won't ever be like this again. Zack spins me around and when I face him again my hands place themselves on his chest. The light sparkles in his eyes. Everything moves in slow motion. He closes his eyes and leans down, I close my eyes and stand on my tiptoes. Then our lips meet. It is the best kiss I have ever had -well, it was my first kiss but still. Fireworks feel like they are going off. That sounded cliché, all of this is cliché.

We put back breathless and Zack puts his forehead on mine. He is smiling and I am smiling to much my face hurts. Once I come down from the cloud I was on I hear people clapping. I blush bright red, Zack must have just heard it also because he starts to blush as well.

Another song starts to play and people start dancing but zack and I are lost in each other's eyes.

"Come on." He says taking me out of my daze. I nod and we get into his truck.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see in a minute." He says. Then I recognize the road we are on.

Zack parks the truck and we walk hand in hand to the tree house. We set on a blanket that Zack had hidden.

"Zack..." I say.

"I'm sorry." He says.

"For?"

"Kissing you."

"Why would you be sorry about that? That was the best kiss I have ever had."

"Really?" he asks, I nod. "So you wouldn't be mad if I did this?" I look up at him confused but his lips crash on mine. I put my hands on the back of his neck. I feel like another round of fireworks go off but then I realize that actual fireworks are going off.

"How did you get the fireworks to go off?" I ask.

"Your brothers." Zack says. I need to thank them when I get home.

We lay under the stars for a while. I was freezing so Zack gave me the jacket to his tux. I ended up falling asleep. Today is the best day I have ever in my life had.