chapter 21

The first thing I hear is a beeping noise, I don't know what it is but it needs to shut the hell up. I slowly open my eyes.

"She's waking up." a female voice says. I open my eyes all the way. "Would you like something to drink?" she asks. Her voice is soft and sweet. I nod my head. She hands me a cup of room temperature water. The water feels amazing as it slides down my through.

"Thank you." I say. "Can you please ask Zack to come in here?" I ask. She nods and walks out of the door and a few minutes later she comes back with Zack. His face is still red and puffy. He runs to the side of my bed.

"I'm so sorry, Dylan." Zack says. "I said I would protect you and I failed. You must hate me now-" I cut him off.

"Please, Zack, stop." I say. He kneels down so our faces are on the same level.

"But because of me-" he starts.

"Zack," I grab his hand, "it's not your fault." He puts his other hand on my cheek.

"I thought I lost you." He says.

"Well, you didn't." I say. Reach my hand to his face and wipe away a tear. "I meet your mom." I blurt out.

"What?" he asks clearly confused.

"While I was unconscious I saw my dad and he told me I got to choose if I wanted to fight or just give up. Then your mom appeared." I can tell he doesn't believe me. "She told me that if I gave up that you would kill yourself from the inside out."

"Dylan there is no way you could have met my mom." He says.

"Zack, do you have dreams where you set and talk to your mom?" I ask.

"h-how did you know?" he asks. "I've never told anyone."

"Your mom, Kennedy, told me. She also said that the night you saved me from those lockers you went to the tree house and she came into your dream. She told me that you said that you would never let anyone hurt me." I say.

"Hold on." He says and pulls out his wallet. "Is this her?" he holds up a picture.

"Yes that's her." I say.

"You really met her." he says. I smile and nod and he starts to smile. I can tell he wants to kiss me but there is a knock on the door and my mom opens it.

"My baby!" mom says. She runs to the other side of my bed.

"I'm going to let you guys have your time." Zack says and walks out of the door before I can say anything.

"That was the most I have heard him say in three weeks." Dexter says.

"Three weeks? How long have I been out?" I ask.

"Almost a month." Mom says.

"That means football season is almost over." I say. They nod.

"I'm sorry." Mom says.

"You said Zack hasn't been talking, why?" I ask trying to change the subject.

"No one knows, he won't talk to anyone. Reporters have been trying to get something out of him-" mom says but Dean cuts her off.

"Once they pushed him too far and Zack broke the guy's nose." Dean says.

"He also won't talk to the police." Mom continues. "No one but you and him know what happened."

"His dad knows." I say.

"Zack-" dean starts.

"Dean," mom cuts him off, "I think Zack should tell her."

"Tell me what?"

"Zack will tell you." She says. I all of a sudden feel really tired.

"You should sleep." Dean says. I nod.

"Can you send Zack back in here?" I ask then I fall asleep.

~****~

I got out of the hospital a few days ago. Today is our last game of the season. The doctors said I can play only one quarter so coach Kemp said I'm playing the fourth.

"Are you sure you want to play?" coach Kemp asks.

"Yes sir." I say. Our team is winning 21 to 7 and it is about to be the fourth quarter. I put my helmet on.

"Are you sure you want to play?" Zack asks.

"yes." I say. "You are the one thousandth person to ask me that!" I say.

"Okay I'm sorry." Zack says.

~****~

We won 30 to 7 and I was not hurt at all. Zack told me to meet him at the tree house, so that is where I am. I'm climbing up the wooden steps. When I get up there Zack is setting on a blanket. I set down next to him.

"I need to tell you something." He says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"After my dad shot you I tackled him to the ground then went to you. After you went unconscious my dad tried to take you away from me but I wouldn't let him." he says, I can tell he wants to cry. "We started fighting. But I knocked him down and started to punch him. Dylan I couldn't stop, all I saw was red. His face was so beaten that it was unrecognizable but I didn't stop. After a while the police showed up but I was still hitting him." a tear runs down his face. "It took five police officers to get me off of him. The next day I found out he was dead." He cries more. "I killed him."

"Zack," I say and put my hand on his cheek, "he deserved it."

"But I killed him. I'm responsible for his death." He says.

"Zack I want to listen to me." I make him look at me. "There were two choices that night. One was to let him die. And the second was to let him kill us. You made the better choice."

"I did?"

"Yes you did."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything." I say.

"Do you hate me?" he asks without looking at me.

"No, I could never hate you." I say.

"Thank god." He says. "Can I ask you another question?"

"Of course." I say.

"Can I kiss you?"

"Forever and always."