chapter 19

It is Saturday, Zack has been missing for six days. Yesterday was our bye week, thank god because I probably would have played like crap. My mom called the police and they took it from there but they still haven't found Zack or his father yet. I am tired of waiting so I will find some answers myself.

I wait until everyone in the house is asleep before I sneak out. I start up my truck and drive to Zack's house. I park at an abandoned house a few houses down from his house. I grab my flashlight and my video camera -I want proof that Mr. Asshole is abusing- and I quietly walk inside the house.

The house is a one story, three bedroom house with a basement. First I look in a room that must be an office, then I go into a room that must be Zack's, and last I go into a room that must be his parents' room. There was no sign of them there so now I have to go down into the basement. I fell like that person in horror movies that everyone is screaming at telling them not to open the door.

I slowly descend down the stairs. There is a door at the bottom of the stairs. Why is there a door at the bottom of the stairs? I slowly open the door. The lights are on in the room. I walk through the door and see someone on the floor, I get closer to see that it is Zack.

"Zack." I say. He looks up. I kneel down next to him.

"What... are you doing... here? He asks weakly.

"Why would you do this? Why would you run away like that?" I ask.

"I said I would always protect you." He says.

"Well isn't that sweet?" a deep voice asks. I turn around to see Zack's dad.

"Well if it isn't Mr. Asshole." I say.

"Zack, you better shut you bitch up." he says.

"Don't you ever... call her a bitch... ever again." Zack says. Zack's dad takes a step forward and I stand up.

"move." Zack's dad nearly growls at me but I stand my ground. Then Zack's dad slips me hard across the face causing me to fall down. He picks me up by my hair and throws me across the room. He walks over to me. I try to get back up but he pushes me pack down. He kicks my side. His boots make everything hurt worse. He kicks me again and again. I wait for the next hit but it doesn't come. Then I hear Zack's dad hit the ground and Zack is on top of him. His dad throws him off and start to kick his side. I can't move. I wish I could but I can't.

"I need to go." Zack's dad says. "Don't try anything." He warns. After the door is slammed shut Zack crawls over to me. He hold me in his arm like he did after he pulled me out of the locker.

"Why did you do that?" I ask.

"Love can make you do stupid things." He says.

"You love me?" I ask looking up at him.

"Forever and always." He says.

"Forever and always." I repeat.

"He won't be back for a couple of hours. You should get some sleep." He says.

"but-" then I realize how tired I am. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says and kisses my cheek. I fall asleep in Zack's arms. Although the situation we are in I feel safe in his arms.

~****~

I don't know how long we have been down here. Zack's dad usually leaves me alone, except when I try to stop him from hurting Zack. Zack's dad found my camera I was trying to hide. Zack's dad should becoming back any minute now.

The door flies open and I jump. Zack give me a tight squeeze then let's go. Zack's dad kicks him. As Zack tries to get back up his dad does something I never thought he would ever do. He pulls out a gun and aims it at Zack.

I get off the ground, the boys haven't noticed me yet. Zack's dad cocks the gun. I gather up my remaining strength and run at Zack's dad. I jump on top of him and tackle him to the ground. He throws me off of him.

"I am so tired of this bitch!" he says. The gun goes off. At first I don't feel any pain but then it all hits me like a train. He pulls the trigger again and again, he shoots me a total of six times. Darkness starts to surround me. I hear someone else fall to the ground. Then I see Zack's face. He pulls me onto his lap.

"Dylan, don't go, don't leave." He says.

"Stay strong Zack. I love you." I say. Then darkness swallows me.