10: Everything is gonna change

"Everybody, this way! Keep it up, guys, we're almost there!" I yell as Minho and I take the lead.

We take a left, but then stop short once I hear a metal sound.

"Wait!" I exclaim, signaling everyone to come close to the wall.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asks.

"Yeah." I pant.

I then peek my head to see the Griever shrieking as it slowly shuffled around.

"Shit." I pant, leaning my head back against the wall.

"Think, Alana." Minho whispers to me and I nod, shutting my eyes for a brief moment.

"Okay, I got it! You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us." I say, handing him the gadget Minho and I found in the maze.

"It's okay. Just stick with me." Winston says an I nod at them.

"Once we're through, it will activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together...we get through this. We get out now...or we die trying." I say to them.

"We believe in you, Alana. I believe in you." Newt tells me and I let out a half grin, nodding at him.

"Thanks, Newt." I nod. "Ready?" I say, holding up my blade.

"Yeah." Minho nods.

"Alright. Let's go!" I shout and everyone chants after me as we run toward the Griever.

                                          ||

"The door opened!" Winston yells and we all look back.

"C'mon! C'mon!" Chuck says and we turn around, running into the tunnel.

We then stop in our tracks as we enter a lab. Broken glass is shattered everywhere and bodies are in almost every room.

"Seriously? What happened here?" I hear Minho say as him and Newt walk over to a desk with cameras.

"So they were watching us. This whole time." Newt says and I walk over the lab that was in my dream.

I press the red button and something flashes, revealing the same blonde lady I also saw in my dream.

"Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm Director
of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means
you have successfully completed the Maze Trials." Ava starts.

"No." I trail off, coming closer to the screen as everyone gathers around me.

"I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you...but circumstances seem to have prevented it.
I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you, that everything that's happened to you...everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the Sun has scorched our world.
Billions of lives lost to fire...famine...suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare." Ava continues.

The screen is then changed with other pictures of horridness.

"A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent...
unpredictable...incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed...inside harsh environments...where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand, what makes them different...what makes you different."